leslie, i really dont know what it later became.
it was on the north side of the street and it was an old two story house.
it was just a hippie hang out at the time, close to LEE PARK and all.
Don't recally the Purple Haze, Debby.
Late '60s.....There was the Haunted House and the Black Cat. I went to both when Dave Coffee's band was playing at them. I can't recall where either of the places were located. Anyone out there recall the places?
Fred
Fred, My brother played in a band with Dave Coffee but it was over on Kings Highway called The Dirt Dobber and Dave owned it or at least ran it. That was in the mid seventies though.
Don't remember if it was the late 60's or early 70's but don't forget Mother Blues. First saw Stevie Ray there ( I think). Had seen his brother in 67 or so at the Studio Club. I just stared as he played Beck's Bolero note for note. Fantastic But ya know what they say...if you remember the 60's, you weren't there.
Scott TJ 65
Rubiyat started on McKinney near William B. Travis Elementary. Don't remember it being on Cole. With the rise of Bluebonnet Country music the Rubiyat changed format from folk to progressive country, moved from McKinney to the west side of Maple just north of the tollway overpass and died a quiet death. Last show I went to there was Steve Fromholz in about 1978.
ron
Re: Rock Venues in Dallas the 60s!
July 02, 2006 09:33AM
I've never seen or heard the term "Bluebonnet Country music". What does it mean?
Bluebonnet Country music
July 02, 2006 01:47PM
Hi there! Bluebonnet Country is what Texas music was called in the early and mid-1970's. Folks like Willis Allan Ramsey, Buckwheat Stevenson, Michael Murphy, Rusty Weir et al. The days before Willie came back to Texas and some would say spoiled it all. Sorta a cross between folk and rock and country or if you were from LA it was "folk rock". Whatever that was, if it was made in Texas by Texans it was Bluebonnet Country.
C'ya
N... Other than my time in the Navy, I've lived in the DFW area since 1942. Like the previous poster, I've never heard the term "Bluebonnet Country" when referring to C&W music in Texas.
Aside... In the mid 70s, I was called by my wife one morning at work and told about a gig that night in Dallas. At noon, I drove from Hurst to the Red Rooster (on Maple, I think, near Love Field) and bought 4 tickets. That evening me and wife, my sister and b-i-l were at the Red Rooster sitting at the front table about 3 feet from a small stage that was only about 18 inches high. The place was jammed to full capacity with only about 250 people. .........Willie Nelson and his band, including his sister, began performing about 8pm!! They would play non-stop for an hour and a half or two hours, then take a short break and start again! That went on until almost 2am!! Best "concert" I've ever attended!!! Was great being only about 3 feet away from the stage and everyone in the place was singing along with the various songs. There was also probably a record set in beer sales for the small place that night. .....It was my understanding that Willie was a friend of the owner of the Red Rooster.
Fred
Bluebonnet Country and C&W are two different animals. Go to Kerrville and you'll hear the difference.
It may be coincidence that Willie and the $money arrived on the same bus but it was over for Bluebonnet Country even before the Armadillo closed. Just not commercial enough.
C'ya
Hey, Fred !
I've never met anyone else who went to the Red Rooster! I thought it was on University (?). It was a very comfortable place. Shuffleboard, I think? Lotsa Lone Star.
I'm glad you got to see Willie; he does put on a GREAT show ! Very smart of you to scoot over and get your tickets early.
The AWH opened the year I moved from Texas but I'm familiar with the Austin music scene of the period. I had/have many friends in the music business and we hung out at the Vulcan Gas Company or at Threadgill's up on Lamar. I just never heard the music called "Bluebonnet" and that might be because I wasn't in Texas in the early 70s.
I agree that it was and still is good stuff but I also like Willie.
Re: 1970's Rock Venues in Dallas
April 10, 2012 07:01AM
This is an old thread and I doubt if anyone will read this, but when I see Mike Ditka's name relating to his restaurant in Dallas, I have to speak.

After Ditka retired as a player and became an assistant under Tom Landry, he decided to open a restaurant in Dallas called The Hungry Hunter. As part of this new venture he needed his accounting books set up and through his contacts found my mom, who was the head bookkeeper for the company that sold the land for Texas Stadium. She had also previously worked for one of the original owners of the Cowboys, Bedford Wynne, so she cam highly recommended to get Mike's accounting set up.

Ditka agreed to pay Mom $1,000.00 to create the restaurant books, which she completed after about a month of working evenings and weekends, well ahead of schedule...and Ditka stiffed her. That's right, Mike Ditka screwed my mother out of $1,000.00, which was a lot of money for us in the early 70's. The restaurant failed miserably, and I'll never forget what he did to my mom. I was 12 at the time and we were living in government housing after some family hardships. As far as I know, Ditka was aware of this and took advantage.

Sour grapes? Maybe. But put yourself in my shoes and imagine how it would feel if your mom was so blatantly shafted.
April 10, 2012 08:52PM
Never mind.confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2012 08:55PM by Mr. Freeze.
July 29, 2012 02:00PM
How about The End of Cole circa 1968 sit on the floor.The phantsmagoria on Knox,before the Knox st pub.
July 31, 2012 10:17AM
Saw Velvet Underground at The End Of Cole in 1970.
August 03, 2012 07:15PM
remember when the cops would either go to prospect at throckmorton OR Fairmont st to look for the usual suspects? I was at P n T.ha. circa 1968.the group NAZZ stayed a block west,speeden their butt off,too bad still have NAZZ and NAZZ NAZZ thier albums.SPIRIT was a big band then also.
October 25, 2012 08:24AM
does anyone remember a place called court 5, it was a small bar located in an apartment complex on holly branch in the park lane area?? they had live music there on the weekends....alot of the Dallas Cowboys would come in there...this was back in the 79-82 time period, had lots of good times there, it is long gone now, I dont even think the apartments even exist anymore.
awh
October 25, 2012 09:35AM
I do remember that - went there back in the 80's a few times to play!

รทรท-----{++}
bug
October 25, 2012 10:46AM
May have said this before and it was a bit later but my favorite place was the Theatre Gallery on Commerce.
Never been to CBGB's but in my mind's eye TG was like Dallas' very own CBGBs.

Even ran into Jerry Haynes a number of times as he was leaving after visiting his son Gibson as his band was preparing to devastate their audience.
October 25, 2012 10:55AM
netkeeper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> does anyone remember a place called court 5, it
> was a small bar located in an apartment complex on
> holly branch in the park lane area?? they had
> live music there on the weekends....alot of the
> Dallas Cowboys would come in there...this was back
> in the 79-82 time period, had lots of good times
> there, it is long gone now, I dont even think the
> apartments even exist anymore.

I remember Court 5 quite well. It was a popular hangout for a lot of the Dallas Blackhawks and a number of baseball players as well. Many of them lived in the complex. My brother-in-law worked there for several years as a bartender. He and my sister had their "unofficial" wedding reception there, after the official reception for all their church folks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login