1970's Rock Venues in Dallas
May 11, 2006 06:17AM
Can anyone tell me where the "Travis St. Electric Company", "The Electric Ballroom" and the Paladium (NW hwy @ Abrahms maybe?) were located??
ALSO, I'm sure some of you who were teenagers or young adults in the early 70's, will find this list of concerts and the venues VERY nostalgic.. [gimarc.com]
Thanks,
davec
Allie J.
Re: 1970's Rock Venues in Dallas
May 11, 2006 03:16PM
Thanks for the Web site - sure went to a lot of those shows. I'm tempted to order those CDs. Travis St. Electric Company was on.....Travis. I remember seeing Tim Buckley at the Electric Ballroom but can't for the life of me remember where it was.
Allie J.
May 11, 2006 03:32PM
Where was Faces??
Faces was on Cedar Springs a few blocks north of Oak Lawn. Throckmorton crosses Cedar Springs within a block of where Faces was. The same location was called 57 Doors either immediately after or before it was known as Faces. 57 Doors was a progressive country music venue.
Pam
May 11, 2006 05:39PM
I lived on Roswell Court in the 70's (Cedar Springs/Throckmorton). What an interesting area it was back then - even more "Bohemian" than it is now. Faces showcased a lot of great local and national talent.
Yeah, that stretch of Cedar Springs was not so much of a gay community center as today, but known as a place to drive by and gawk at female prosty-toots walking around, a la Harry Hines (at night), eek.
During the day, us kids (around 1973) would often walk down that block to Passtime Billiards on Cedar Springs after school (Sam Houston Elementary on Throckmorton) to play pinball. lol.
Was too young to see bands then, but was aware of them thru older family members.
My first Bar was Gerties. On Lemmon or thereabouts..I remember it foggily.
awh
May 12, 2006 02:10PM
Tim Buckley - very cool! I missed out on him back then. I don't know why. He was great!
To make up for not being "in the know" back then, the band I'm in just recently learned "Move With Me" off the "Greetings From L.A. album! We love it!!
awh
May 12, 2006 02:14PM
Palladium Ad (from the Big D 60's Yahoo Group.
It was on NW Highway just East of Abrams (South side).
[img45.imageshack.us]
More great club photos and ads here:
[launch.groups.yahoo.com]
awh
May 12, 2006 02:17PM
Saw Elvis Costello at Faces on Cedar Springs when he was promting his 1st album (private party). There were about 30-40 people there. A very special time indeed!
Being in the music scene, do you remember a fella named Jay Vestal? Thanks to all for all,
B
Humm..
How About MOTHER BLUES? There were 2 different ones If I'm remembering correctly..
Randy
Carlisle
Photographically Preserving Dallas History 1 Building @ A Time
Anyone remember the Electric Circus in Lakewood or The Place Across The Street club that was turned into Le Bare. Wellingtons on NW Hwy,{Owned in part by Craig Morton. All were hot spots in the late 60s early 70s.
I do also remember the BIJOU which is now the MENS' Warehouse at Skillman and N.W.Hwy.. @ The Medallion Shopping Center.
Randy
Carlisle
Humm. OR is that Abrams.???
LoL!
R.A. Carlisle
The original was in an old house on Rawlins, the second was on Lemmon. Thanks to all for all,
B
Pam
May 14, 2006 07:50PM
The Electric Circus was owned by the same people as the Circus in Fort Worth & Denton (& Harlows & Travis Street in Dallas). Wellingtons would have had a longer life had it not been for the young couple that were shot & left for dead - I think in the parking lot. She survived, he did not, nor did Wellingtons.
awh
May 14, 2006 08:09PM
Yeah - David Crosby remembers The Bijou too! Of course it was Cardi's back then.
Pam,
Did you ever get to The Losers Club on Mockingbird. Tony Katterine used to bring in big name entertainment in the late 60s and early 70s.Also Mike Ditkas place off Inwood. The Sports Page i believe it was called.
Allie J.
May 15, 2006 06:54AM
Not too many people really "got" Tim B - He hated the "Greetings from LA" LP & thought it too commercial & that he was selling out. He died so young - then his son began performing and drowned. Would like to hear you do the msuic. p.s. I also saw Gino Vanelli there.
Pam
May 15, 2006 07:00AM
I didn't know that was Ditka's, but I remember the place. It drew a lot of sports personalities. I remember The Losers but don't know if I ever went. Remember The Beggar?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login