Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bluffview Dairy

Posted by Susan 
Bluffview Dairy
November 11, 2001 09:58AM
Does anyone recall a Bluffview Dairy, or perhaps a veterinarian by the last name of Lively? I'm researching the surname Lively and have only brief clues into this one.
Thanks,
Susan
Jim Wheat
Bluff View Dairy Farm
November 11, 2001 02:58PM
1922 Worley's Dallas City Directory:
No listing for Bluff View Dairy Farm
No listing for Henry, John T. Jack, or Laura Lively.
----
1933-34 Worley's Dallas City Directory:
Bluff View Dairy Farm (Jack Lively, J. T. Lively),
north side of Northwest Highway, 1 [block] east of
Midway road.
Lively, Jack (wife: Marguerite C.) (Bluff View Dairy
Farm) householder @ north side of North West Highway,
1 [block] east of Midway road.
Lively, John T. (wife: Frone S.) (Bluff View Dairy Farm),
householder @ north side of North West Highway, 1 [block]
east of Midway road.
Lively, Laura (widow of Henry), householder at
north side of North West Highway, 1 [block] east
of Midway road.
-----
1938 Worley's Dallas City Directory:
Bluff View Dairy Farm (John T. Lively), north
side of Northwest Highway, 1 [block] east of
Midway road, Rural Delivery Route 7.
Lively, Jack (wife: Margaret) foreman @ Bluff
View Dairy Farm, householder @ north side of
Northwest Hwy, 1 [block] east of Midway road.
Lively, John T. (wife: Frone) (Bluff View Dairy
Farm), householder @ north side of
Northwest Hwy, 1 [block] east of Midway road,
Rural Delivery Route 7.
----
There are no listings in the 1922, 1933-34 or 1938
directories for a veterinarian named Lively
Re: Bluffview Dairy
November 11, 2001 03:29PM
Jim,
Thanks for the insight into the dairy and it's owners. Any idea who Henry Lively would have been? His widow, Laura, was mentioned in your info. Can I assume that Jack Lively was the father and John T. Lively was the son?
I know I'm picking your brain, but thanks.
Susan
November 11, 2001 05:18PM
There sure was a Bluffview Dairy in the 1950's! The milkman came to my home over in Lakewood about twice a week. The glass returnable bottles had a Bluffview logo on them.
Jim Wheat
Re: Bluff View Farms/Lively
November 11, 2001 06:25PM
Hi, Susan...
Just a guess, but I'd say Henry & Laura were the
parents of Jack and John T.
It appears that Jack was born in 1901 and died in Dallas
County in 1985.
Jim
---
1957 Worley's Dallas City Directory:
No separate listing for Bluff View Dairy Farm
Lively, Jack (wife: Marguerite; Bluff View Farms), householder
@ 9200 Guernsey lane
Lively, Jack W., student, residence: 9200 Guernsey lane
Lively, John T. (wife: Rosa; Bluff View Farms), householder @ 9100 Guernsey lane
---
Re: Bluffview Dairy & Livelys
November 12, 2001 08:09AM
Susan, I don't know if you're from Dallas but the whole neighborhood "above" the bluff is called Bluffview. It's a large cliffside off Northwest Highway, south/west of NW @ Midway. More appropriately, the actual dairy farm was the lower part, "viewing the bluff" rather than the view "from the bluff". Bluffview was a very popular dairy in Dallas; while it continued, the original property was developed residentially.
The most intuitive "recent" Lively in East Dallas was Della Lively, who had a flourishing real estate firm. I bet she could tell you more about the family, which seems to have been around awhile.
November 13, 2001 04:39AM
Does anyone out there still have one of those old milk bottles? What did the logo look like?
Very interesting,
Thanks... Susan
Peter Kurilecz
November 13, 2001 06:48AM
Here are some websites that may be of help. You may have to copy and paste into your browser window
[www.alltheweb.com]
[www.alltheweb.com]
You might also want to review back issues of the Dallas Morning News and Dallas Times Herald to find ads for the dairy. Old City directories may or may not have ads for the dairy that would show its logo.
November 13, 2001 10:52AM
Susan,
I have seen (on rare occassion) the milk bottles in flea markets. Can't remeber the logo. Sorry!
June 22, 2012 05:28PM
I just ran across this forum online searching for someone else,I joined just to add;I lived@9308 Guernsey Lane back in the 60s and the Livelys were my next door neighbors.Jack&his wife right next door@9200 Guernsey Lane,he was John&Rose's son&they lived@9100 Guernsey Lane.John Sr.& Rose were my" adopted" grandparents,as I was over there all the time.I do know there was a dairy&I remember the Bluffs,as we called it back then.Yet by this time(1960s),they were very much retired.There was&believe still is a Lively Rd.or Ln.,and a Rosa Rd. or Ln.I probably didn't help you much,but I thank you for bringing back some very fond memories.
June 27, 2012 05:19PM
I'm a little confused here. Is it possible to have duplicate user names on this forum? I'm not the same Susan that started this thread, and the email address is different from mine.
June 27, 2012 07:55PM
Are you the Susan that used to live on Palace Way near Lochwood? I want to try and keep you two straight (in my mind, that is).
June 28, 2012 05:45PM
Matthew -
Yes. That's me. I checked the archieves and the 1st Susan hasn't posted in 7 years. My 1st post was 3 yrs ago.
June 28, 2012 05:56PM
Good, Susan. I guess I could've done that.
June 28, 2012 10:13PM
My grandparents lived in Denton when I was growing up, and we would drive out there a couple times a month. I-35 was pretty empty back then. Lewisville was the only town between Carrollton and Denton and otherwise it was country. I could swear there was a Bluffview Dairy farm on I-35 back in those days (60s and 70s). It had a big lit sign.
July 05, 2012 06:27PM
How funny that the Liveleys of dairy fame lived on Guernsey! There was a lively Lakewood realtor for many years, Della Lively.
Mark Ritchie, I recall that large dairy sign along I35 near Sandy Lake, maybe, for Oak Farms. It may have had Bluffview on it (itz as flat a piece of bottom as ever existed).
The 'bluff view' was of course the view from Joe's and Bachman Creek toward the high bluff many of us wish we'd bought some investment lots in waaay back lol.
July 07, 2012 11:24AM
I did at least a couple of "industrial tours" from Kindergarten and grade school to the processing plant over near Harry Hines, and to the farm out in Carrolton (pink doors on the stalls at the time we went - that made an impression). Wish I had pictures.
Dan
September 23, 2012 07:05PM
I am the grandson of Jack and Marguerite Lively and the great-grandson of John T. Lively (his first wife was Sephronia Cox, second wife Rose). The addresses on Guernsey Ln. are correct. First dairy at Midway and Northwest, second at Denton Drive and roughly Royal and the last in Carrollton. Sold to Southland in the mid sixties. John T. Lively was the son of Patrick Henry Lively who settled in Dallas in the 1850's. Great to stumble upon this conversation.
September 23, 2012 11:39PM
Dan -

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the input.

Was the orignal dairy site entirely on the south side of Northwest Highway?

There are a couple of websites re the Bluff View Addition on the south side of Northwest Hoghway that claim that was originally the dairy site.

M C
September 24, 2012 09:48AM
A while back, Debby Lacy shared a paper she wrote about the Lively and Cochran families and the Bluff View Dairy... it can be accessed at:

The Lively Family: [tinyurl.com]

I just tried the link and it still works. It's a google doc.

I pretty much only remember the place (The Denton Dr. and Carrolton locations) from field trips in kindergarten and grade school.

Bill Parrish
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login