Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Zuider Zee history

Posted by Ralph Black 
Zuider Zee history
February 21, 2006 11:14AM
Bill Martin opened the first Zuider Zee Restaurant in Fort Worth in 1957. This was a fine family dining restaurant with some of the best sea food in the area. He quickly grew and opened a restaurant in Arlington andin Dallas (Denton Dr & Medallion Center. He also franchised restaurants in San Antonio, Austin, Lubbock, Amarillo, Oklahoma City and Colorado Springs. All were fine family dining restaurants. In 1968 he sold out to Ward Food Inc of New York at somewhere around five million dollars.
In 1968 Ward bought the restaurants in Lubbock and Amarillo and said they would open they would open 40 more wholly owned restaurants by 1970 and that they had plans to open 200 miniature Zuider Zee restaurants to be known as Zuider Z-ettes. Bill Martin is now chairman of Zuider Zee Companies
In 1969 Ward opened a Zuider Zee Fish n Puppies franchise restaurant in the Oak Cliff Bank Tower. In 1970 Ward announced a major expansion. They changed the name of Fish n Puppies to Zuider Zee Seafood Inn and said that 29 of these were under construction (25 company owned and 4 franchised). I never ate at any of the Fish and Puppies or Seafood Inns, there was one at 1022 Garland Rd., but I think the quality of the food was still good as was the four restaurants.
In 1971 Ward sold the business to Executive Food Services Inc. Bill Martin was out and the quality of the food went down. I had my last dinner at the Medallion Center location shortly after that and later I think the business went bankrupt.
When I think of Zuider Zee I think of the fine food they served in the first four restaurants that Bill Martin opened. Bill later open the restaurant near Alvarado on 35-W and I think one or two more
Re: Zuider Zee history
February 21, 2006 12:16PM
I use to go the the one on Denton Dr. and also the one in Medallion and both were very good at that time, after moving to Tarrant County we use to go to the one on Lancaster until it closed and then when he opened "Bill and Mary's" on 35W (just South of Burleson) we went there a couple times a year, it was also very good. Last time I checked that one is now closed so as far as I know there are no more Bill Martin Restaurants, if anyone knowns of one, let us know....Bill Strouse
February 21, 2006 12:48PM
Thanks for this very complete description. I must have confused something else downtown with the Z, but I can't imagine what. Or maybe I just transferred it downtown in my mind. Thanks again, Dave Mc
February 22, 2006 10:22AM
All of this restaurant discussion has rattled my last functional memory cell aand brought to mind "Little Bit of Sweden" Smorgasbord! I think it was around NW Hywy and Preston Rd. although I never ate there. Might have been on Sherry Lane a couple of blocks West of Preston Rd. Am I close?
Thanks,
Steve
February 24, 2006 05:54PM
At one point there was a "Little Bit of Sweden" smorgasbord on the south side of the Miracle Mile shopping center, opposite side from the theater that was south of Lover's Lane. It may have moved later. I am talking 1954 or before.
February 24, 2006 06:57PM
Bill:
As I think about it, I believe you are right about the location being on South of the "Miracle Mile". It seems like it may have been in the strip which backed up to the Inwood Theater just East of The Horchow Collection's Outlet store in later years.
Thanks,
Steve
February 25, 2006 05:43PM
I am certain we are talking about the same place. But if that same business had a different venue later, where was it? Or did it just go out of business after a while?
Horchow was after my time in Dallas. I don't remember the names of any other businesses on that side - the smorgasbord side - of the strip.
February 26, 2006 08:49AM
Bill:
I don't know what happened to "LB of Sweden Smorgasbord", but I am positive you are right as to its' location. Horchow was in the SWcorner of the strip and I am recalling the late 70's or early 80's. I believe Roger Horchow closed it and went to NYC where he produced some Broadway shows.
March 09, 2006 08:44AM
I remember a seafood resturant at the Medallion shopping center on the N/E corner that had the rear in of a sailing ship sticking out at the front of the resturant and it had creaking sound effects like an old ship. I don't remember the name, but could it have been the Zuider Zee?
Also there was a seafood resturant at the harry Hines Circle and the building was shipped like a sailing ship, what was the name of this place?
Thanks,
Stewart
March 09, 2006 11:11AM
"The Bounty" was the Seafood Restaurant on the Field Circle and although I use to go to the Zuider Zee at Medallion I can not remember if part of it was shaped like a Ship....Bill Strouse
March 09, 2006 11:58AM
I believe it was the Spanish Galleon Restaurant that added the ship to the Meddalion location of the Zuider Zee
Re: Little Bit of Sweden
March 12, 2006 07:53AM
little bit of sweden was on the back side of the mall at the SE corner of Inwood and Lovers lave
building is still there and seems like it was occupied by a clothes store the last time i looked ??
awh
March 12, 2006 02:31PM
From my website:
[snazzyjazzypostcards.com]
awh
Re: Little Bit of Sweden Location
March 12, 2006 02:43PM
Oh yeah!
It was on the SE corner on the backside of Inwood Village (right across from the freestanding E. M. Kahn's).
Had my 1st wedding anniversary dinner there back in '75!
See link:
[img102.imageshack.us]
(Ain't Google Earth great?)
That's the corner where the S&S TeaRoom was located when it moved from Highland Park Village....then I think a Mexican restaurant was there for a while...now it's Breadwinner's Cafe/Bakery.
Wow...S&S TeaRoom gets the old memories cranking...In "my" day, when it was in Highland Park Village..that's where almost everyone had their bridesmaid luncheons....cept me. I was a little outside the "norm".. and had mine at the Bali Hai in Preston Center.
I remember at the S&S, they passed around a basket of bread that had the best "cinnamon rolls" in the world. That stuck in my memory kinda like the "popovers" at Jays Marine Grill on Hall off Oak Lawn.
Guess I kinda strayed...old memories tend to "fray a string"....
THe Sons of the REPUBLIC OF TEXAS , Dallas group, meet quarterly at the S & S Tea Room for a few years,. What a great place !
Our membership was 316 guys.--- largest chapter in the state. S & S finally had to toss us out.
Yes, LITTLE BIT OF SWEDEN. WAS A SUPER PLACE. I miss it.
Pam
Re: Little Bit of Sweden Location
March 12, 2006 08:18PM
Any one remember The Beefeater? Can't quite recall where it was but I had my first year anniversay dinner there. By my second anniversary it had burned down. (Bad sign of things to come.)
March 13, 2006 11:11AM
Thanks much John! That is about where I remembered it although I was thinking it was farther to the West. After your note, I am inclined to agree with your locale. I never ate there but my mom described a trip she took there and all the food they had available!
Thanks again,
Steve
March 13, 2006 05:22PM
Agree. I remember it being further West and wonder if the street was renumbered, perhaps after retail spaces were divided.
March 13, 2006 07:12PM
Bill:
It was in the mid-80's last time I was in that area so I can't swear to anything! My brain has been re-numbered whether the area has or not!
Steve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login