Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Herrera's TexMex

Posted by mikeyj 
Re: Herrera's TexMex-Zider Zee
February 20, 2006 10:22PM
Like I said, maybe on Elm, but that was a long time ago, sixties. I did cursory searches on google, for Zuider Zee, Bill Martin, and got only references to this board.
Someone with access to city directories from the early sixties should be able to find out, if interested. I just think I remember eating in a seafood place downtown, that I thought was the first Zuider Zee in Dallas. Later Z's, I recall as being after the name was sold, and they weren't very good. But we're talking a long time ago.
I know that Martin was from Fort Worth, and operated restaurants there, including ones using his name. Someone else mentioned the original Z being in Fort Worth. When? Earlier than about 1962?
Dave Mc
February 26, 2006 09:06AM
well the first Zider Zee in Fort Worth that i remember was at I-30 and the Forest Park Exit. later became a Spanish Galleon and now torn down
it was not there in 1971, but exact dates are getting fuzzy now
Re: Phil's
February 26, 2006 09:16AM
hello dave nc
YES YES YES
absolutely correct. been tring to think of that name for many years and it has escaped me and now I have it back
thanks
you are correct, absolutely one of the best deli's i have ever eaten in. matter of fact, i am not sure it was not better that Cargeaie Deli in NYC. remember been sad for days after they torn down the old Baker Hotel. i ate there 2-3 times a week in the sixities. there was a tall man that i always tried to get in his line. boy this is bringing back lots of good thoughts. i remember that when i found the deli, i ate something new every time i went in until the entire menu was exhausted. it was limited and that took a month??? hot pastrami on an onion with an extra pickle......1.20 w/tax what a place
February 26, 2006 03:33PM
It seems to me that there was another Phil's Deli. somewhere in Dallas. Is that wrong? Thanks to all for all,
B
February 26, 2006 07:15PM
Tkere was a Phil's on the east side of Preston close to NW HWY in the late fifties - early sixties. I believe it moved to spot on the west side of Central and more north - Walnut Hill anyway. That last spot was sometime after we moved from Dallas in 1961.
Phil's had a great chef's salad. I think I remember the deli sandwiches on the menu. Don't recall the other deli type things like matzo soup. With much respect to Bevo, I'm not sure it was in the same league as the Carnegie, but I'd sure do some comparison dining to check out that possibility were Phil's still around.
Phil's was a very, very good place for and in Dallas in the time and place it operated.
February 26, 2006 07:27PM
Bill, thanks for your input, but why much respect for me? I'm just a simple farmer and cow calf fella in New Mexico. Thanks again,
B
February 26, 2006 09:39PM
Hi...just curious where you might be in NM, I moved back here to DFW from Sierra County just a couple years ago...do you know or perhaps are related to Sterling Roberts, rancher in Sierra County, just south of Hillsboro?
February 26, 2006 11:03PM
Speaking of good Mex places....does anyone remember the name of the Mex place in the Oak Lawn area. It was on Lemmon just east of Oak Lawn on the north side of Lemmon. It was a small place and I believe I went there in the early 70's..but I can't recall the name of it to save my life. It was almost at Lee Park..but not quite.
February 27, 2006 01:22AM
Sir, Your posts are always polite, readable, thoughtful. If our differences on this board are only about restaurants you may have visted more often that I, well, I will offer my reservations with respect. Best to you, yours. Bill
February 27, 2006 03:11PM
Bill, thanks for asking. For the most park, Curry Co. Also, DeBaca and Lincoln counties in NM. And Parmer co. in Tx. Thanks to all for all,
B
Was that Casa Dominguez?
Dave Mc
No...not in the time frame I was remembering about. I know later it was several other places to eat and other things OR Maybe it was that after? Or no telling what it was before...come to think of it. Ya know...it's been so long since I have driven by the location...I don't even know if the building is there or not. I'll put that on my list of places to ride to on my Motorcycle. Many times I ride just to get out of the house....I'll check it out and maybe get a correct address?
Re: Herrera's TexMex
July 01, 2006 05:48AM
Herreras is still in the Denton Grive cutoff. Ate there about 2 months ago. It is on the east side of center. Great Menudo.
July 03, 2006 12:01AM
I just have to put my two cents in on this subject. Herrera's has the very best burritos (#18) that I have ever tasted. I usually go to the one in Oak Cliff (been going there for a long time now) it's near Illinois and Westmoreland (by Strickland Jr. High).
July 03, 2006 08:54AM
sorry, that should have been stockard jr high near the dart rail station.
July 03, 2006 09:02AM
Also the best bean soup and chalupa's to be found. At least that's true at the Maple Ave. location.
July 03, 2006 03:53PM
In my opinion, the Maple Avenue Hererra's is the best.
July 08, 2006 12:15PM
bill , you are correct, that was the ols Zider Zee resturant location, but Herrera's only takes up a piece of the old ZZ
July 08, 2006 12:22PM
that location was a Zider Zee at one time.
How long has Herrera's been there? I have been going to that location since late '83. Mama Herrera moved there in the late '70s or early '80s because the shack on Maple just off Oak Lawn got too small after the National Geographic writeup in the late '70s. all the others have been established since then, but all are in the family.
July 09, 2006 07:26PM
Now you've got me wondering just when the Zuider Zee opened at that location and how long it lasted. The area is redeveloping now but for a long time its been an isolated no man's land. Not prime territory for a large eatery. Leslie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login