Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Herrera's TexMex

Posted by mikeyj 
Herrera's TexMex
February 07, 2006 05:15AM
The Herrera's Mexican food restaurant in Oak Lawn on Denton Drive is in an old shopping center. It is in a very large space that must have been perhaps a grocery store at one time. Anybody have any knowledge of what was in that location over the years. How long has Herrrera's been in that location?
Re: Herrera's TexMex
February 07, 2006 07:59PM
Off the subject, the first time I went to Herrera's, it was a little tiny place with a leaky roof I believe on Cedar Springs. Very small place. I guess they have more than one location now. Thanks to all,
B
February 08, 2006 04:56AM
It's not at the old Zuider Zee Restaurant location, is it, been a while since I have been over there but seems like there was something like that in that spot.....Bill Strouse
Roy
February 08, 2006 05:38AM
As I recall there was a Tom Thumb Grocery Store and a Page Drug Store located where Herrera's is now on Denton Drive between Hudnall Street and Denton Drive Cut Off.
The drug store closed and the grocery store remained. I seem to remember the grocery store changed to a Minyard's later on.
February 08, 2006 10:10AM
The original Hererra's was indeed in a tiny space, a little house on Maple near Oak Lawn, across from Old Parkland. The old structure still stands, has been added to, and is now called "The Grapevine" and is a rather "hip" bar.
Hererra's had moved into a newer larger space across Maple and again, near old Parkland Hospital. I guess there are more locations now, or they moved again.
February 08, 2006 10:22AM
Several locations now, but one is still at Maple Ave. next door to old Parkland and it's still the best one!
February 08, 2006 03:11PM
Wasn't the original Adair's in that area also? Thanks to all for all,
B
Pam
February 09, 2006 12:49PM
thought that was on Oak Lawn --where the Wine Press was later on.
February 09, 2006 04:22PM
Seems like it was on Maple to me. Thanks to all for all,
B
February 09, 2006 05:38PM
Damn! I hope I didn't run everybody off! This is kinda strange. If anyone's out there, thanks to all for all,
B
February 09, 2006 06:44PM
Bevo, the original Adair's was on Cedar Springs, about 2 or 3 blocks north of Oak Lawn. It was on the west side of Cedar Springs. I'm certain of the location, and I guess it was the original. At any rate, it was the location prior to moving to Deep Ellum, and it was on Cedar Springs for many years. Best juke box selection I ever heard. Lot's of classic country & western music and some songs I never heard anywhere else before or since.
February 09, 2006 06:57PM
Thanks. That cleared that up. And a killer hamburger! Thanks to all for all,
B
Pam
February 10, 2006 11:00AM
? and the Mysterians on the jb and peanut shells on the floor.
February 12, 2006 01:26PM
the original Herera's Tex Mex was on Maple in a small old house that still stands and is now the Grapevine. Herrera's was written up in the National Geographic at the location. they moved just north a couple of blocks in the early eighties on the opposite side of the street. at approximately the same time, they got the spot on old denton road and that location was the original site of the Zider Zee. there was also a Page drugstore and Tom Thumb noth of the old Zider Zee and a couple of other stores on the west side of those stores. in addition, Herrera's also had a resturant in Oak Cliff and Farmers Branch and how a cople of more. truly above average Mexican food that is run by one family
PJ
February 12, 2006 04:35PM
I remember being there one night ---after waiting quite some time for one of the 9 tables-- and sitting next to a group. One of the gals was telling the rest of her party that she was now outside of her body and hovering above, watching herself seated at the table. Like that old line in the movie, I should have told the waiter, "I'll have what she's having." Similar memories of Lucas B&B after 2 a.am.
February 16, 2006 11:05AM
I believe, might be mistaken, that the original Zuider Zee was downtown, maybe on Elm? Zuider Zee was owned by Bill Martin, who also had a restaurant in Fort Worth. After he sold the Zuider Zee to a national group, it opened up restaurants in other parts of Dallas, including the one on Oak Lawn and scattered all over Dallas and Tarrant Counties. Never as good as the original. I think he later sold the Fort Worth restaurant (operated under the name Bill Martin's), and then opened Bill Martin's Second Edition. Those were great places, but the chain Zuider Zee's that showed up were never as good.
Now, remember, I'm old and a professor, so my memory may not be so good.
Dave Mc
February 16, 2006 01:40PM
Regarding Herrera's original location on Maple (probably at Reagan or Shelby). To say it was in an old house is a bit of a stretch. I always referred to it as a "lean to". The line to get a table put you in the kitchen watching the preparations and out the front door. It (kitchen) was in the same room as the tables, for that matter. I would joke that the sign to the men's room door merely put you out into the parking lot, but can't say for sure as I never explored it. But from the outside it appears too small for such amenities. Without a doubt it was the best mex food ever and the only place I have ever consistantly sprung for the ultimate high dollar selection. Jimmy's plate. No rice and/or beans. Every item, pure ambosia. Delivered on two plates if I remember correctly.
When I first arrived in Dallas (1973) there were only two places worth going to. Herrera's and Ojeda's, both on Maple. Both with a huge following.
Just drove past the location at Denton Drive Cutoff (Feb 2006) and didn't see Herrera's although it used to be there. I think it's a Carnival grocery now.
Leslie
February 17, 2006 11:19AM
I've never eaten at Herara's. However, your description reminds me very much of the original Joe T. Garcia's on North Main in Fort Worth. I used to think the old house had to be propped up with timbers from the side.
The food was as fine as I've ever eaten. There was no menu, one simply ate whatever was prepared that day. When it was time to tote up the check, the server simply counted the patrons at the table and the bottles on the table. FANTASTIC!! Unfortunately, I've not been there in years, and don't know if it is still there.
Dave Mc
Re: Herrera's TexMex-Zider Zee
February 20, 2006 02:59PM
hello dave
ok, i too am old but lets talk this one out>>>>>>>>>
now, where downtown?
i have been in and around dallas area since 48 ??
remember the old Brockles well
remember the old Copper Cow and i Remember the old deli (name escapes me presently) that was on the east side of the old Baker Hotel, but Zider Zee downtown.??????? Help folks on the board, that location escapes me.
the Zider Zee located on old Denton Highway, south of Inwood was there on my first visit in the early sixites, and it was a great place.
the martins did not go on a building program until the late sixites-early seventies.
Re: Herrera's TexMex-Zider Zee
February 20, 2006 10:06PM
The delicatesan was "Phil's Delicatesan," and it was owned by the grandfather of one of my high school classmates. Both the classmate's and the grandfather's name completely escape me now. Phil's is where I first had lox. Phil's bagels were as good as any I ever had in New York. In fact, it pains me to hear newcomers to Dallas make disparaging remarks regarding the possiblity of good deli food in Dallas, when Dallas once had excellent such fare before chains and supermarkets took over everything.
Dave Mc
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login