Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rock Concerts

Posted by Kristy 
Re: Rock Concerts
July 25, 2005 07:52AM
Re: Rock Concerts//FURY
July 25, 2005 11:48AM
I think it was channel 11. I watched it religiously. All my toy horses were named Fury! Somebody needs to start showing that again.
July 25, 2005 11:53AM
Three or four final tours for the Who, and I think I went to all of them! Even the last time they were here, when Entwistle died the night before the tour started. (I already had a ticket)
Wow..
I'm not sure about that. I think Aerosmith was the "Headliner" tho.. Then Ted Nugent I think..
You know, Ted lives in or around the Waco Area now.!!!!
The "Nuge" is in TEXAS.!!!
'Wang Dang' !!!
Randy Carlisle
Photographically Preserving Dallas History 1 Building @ A Time
July 25, 2005 02:02PM
The Small Faces (Jeff Beck featuring Rod Stewart and Rionnie Wood) at the Majestic Theater...in Dallas...about 71 or 72.....opening act was freddie king if i remember correctly...
others:
Leon Russell and Joe Cocker (Mad Dogs Tour) at memorial auditorium
also saw about 69 or so a new group open for BB King...the group was know as CTA (Chicago)...awesome
also any kenny and the kasual or chessmen gig in the 60s was great.....
also "It's a Beautiful Day" at the majestic in about 71 or 72
santana in dallas for 5 bucks i might add in late 72...
also starship with commander cody and papa john creach was great...
list of concerts in those great musical days was endless...
i still have the ticket stubs...
and don't forget "Jesus Christ Superstar" in 1972.....made it through dallas wiht ian gilliam i believe singing lead..
KMC
July 25, 2005 03:41PM
What a great topic!
My first concert was the Texas Jamm at the Cotton Bowl in Summer '77 or '78. Summer '78 I think. Fleetwood Mac was the headline act and all of us teenage boys were in LOVE with Stevie Nicks. We'd stopped at 7-11 on the way and bought big bottles of soft drinks and bags of ice and packed a big cooler to take in with us. We got to the Cotton Bowl and they wouldn't let us take in the bottles. The car was parked a mile away and we didn't want to walk back or throw the cokes away, so we poured the drinks directly into the ice chest. Yuck. It made perfect sense to a bunch of 17 year-olds, though! We got there early enough to be down on the field in the middle of everything! And I mean everything! It had to have been 200 degrees down there and we stripped off every piece of clothing we legally could to try to stay cool, so of course we ended up terribly sunburned. We threw people up the air with blanket trampolines, cheered others as they shimmied up speaker poles, saw things we shouldn't have seen, smelled illegal odors from various paraphernalia and, generally, had a blast. I remember getting home late that night and my parents were still up. It seems Channel 8 news had a reporter there so my parents had heard the whole story. I remember them chuckling and saying something along the lines of it looking like we had a good time.
Another good one was Earth, Wind & Fire at Reunion Arena in '79 or '80, when they were at the height of their popularity. We were waaaaay up near the top far into the lingering cloud of, well, NOT cigarette smoke and were dancing in the aisles. It was one big party. "Do you remember....."
The worst one was seeing Chicago and The Moody Blues at Starplex a few years ago. There was no breeze and it was miserably hot. Plus the concert itself was boring.
Kristy
July 25, 2005 04:11PM
I thought Fleetwood Mac headlined! I was just a couple of years too young to go to that one and envied all of the older kids I knew whose parents would let them go. I would have loved it back then.
July 25, 2005 06:37PM
Gads, Art! Sound Town! Probably half of my LP's came from that store! I'd be innocently shopping for a certain album, then the manager would put on some obscure blues album with the jacket on the shelf marked, "Now Playing". I bought several albums that way and used to curse the manager for enticing another sale. Alot of them are British blues bands. That was a great store though!
Re: Rock Concerts - J. Crawford
July 25, 2005 06:46PM
Did your movie director create that classic movie from lower Kiest Park, The Yesterday Machine in 1963? I was there for a lot of the filming, and now have a copy on VHS. Hard to believe those snooty types in Hollywood ignored it come Oscar time!
July 25, 2005 07:47PM
I assume by the description you're maybe talking about the Preston Center store? Of course we tried to sell all kinds of stuff that wasn't getting airplay so it could have been anywhere I was. I remember we also sold those great Craig
July 25, 2005 10:17PM
You lucky B@ast@rd :-) Did you catch Jethro Tull "Thick As A Brick" tour? Still stands out as the finest musicianship and show to me.
Caught Sinatra at Starplex in 89 or 90. Not rock, but he certainly defined cooool! Comic Tom Dreeson warmed up and Frank, Jr. was bandleader. Certainly a night to remember. First class all the way.
July 26, 2005 08:32AM
My first rock concert was " The Doors" I remember Jim Morrison coming out in black leather pants and had a six pack of beer he was carring over his shoulder. I also remember a group of us high school friends from BA we would wait after a concert was finished and follow the bands limo back to there hotel. I remember we followed Ten Years After and I had Alvin Lee sign my standard guitar. Those were the days.
Chad Smith
July 26, 2005 09:12AM
Al,
Was that the Ten's Years After concert with Procol Harem, somewhere around '71-'72? If so, I went with a friend whose sister had been married to a roadie for Showco. She got us backstage, and we sat in the front row with the roadies and groupies. The groupies were something else! Mini-skirts, high heel boots, and all attitude. Couldn't believe how crazy the backstage area was. Lot's of smoking going on, if you know what I mean. There were several Dallas Police there also. Strange place to light up a joint. Oh well, different times I guess. Great concert though.
July 26, 2005 09:24AM
Yes, Chad that was the concert. We didn't go to the concert just waited around by the back stage door and followed the limo. We also saw Jefferson Airplane and Jimi Hendrix that way by waiting until after the show. I remember a friend who was with us ran onto the stage and picked up Jimi's Guitar and held it. Tell me he wasn't stoned....
Chad Smith
July 26, 2005 07:18PM
I would like to say it was a great concert, but we spent waaaaay too much time in the lounge with the roadies and groupies. Just in case I ever get nominated for public office, I want to go on record as never inhaling.
Bill V
July 26, 2005 10:02PM
My first was Elton John on his Tumbleweed
Connection Tour. He was fronted by Jon Marc
and Johnnie Almond.
Jethro Tull
Re: Rock Concerts//FURY
July 26, 2005 10:50PM
I agree, Mary! I wouldn't have been able to make it to school in the mornings without that dark horse, and have no intention of depriving the next generation (thanks to the Web/ebay).
Holly
July 27, 2005 05:37AM
Saw Jethro Tull for the Aqualung tour in July '71 I believe. A little, unknown band named Yes opened for them and made quite a splash. Saw the Allman Brothers with Poco with Richie Furay and Tim Schmidt (later joined the Eagles), later saw the Allman Bros. less Duane, then again less Barry Oakley. They went downhill with each loss. Saw Grateful Dead at Fort Worth with the New Riders of the Purple Sage. Saw the Quadfest at Memorial, which seems to me had Leon Russell, Badfinger, Lee Michaels, and another band that escapes me at the moment.
July 27, 2005 05:55AM
Yeah! Sure none of us ever inhaled... I never saw those curtians moving either....
Chad Smith
July 27, 2005 01:18PM
Bill,
I just lucked into the Spirit concert. My brother had a friend who was a concert promoter in Lubbock, and Spirit was a last minute booking. They played in the little concert hall next to Lubbock Municipal. Perhaps no more than three hundred seats. I had no idea they would be better live than on LP. There is a good site on the web for Randy California and Spirit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login