Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1970's Restaurants

Posted by KMC 
Re: 1970's Restaurants
July 31, 2005 08:24PM
Thanks for the patience extended. Some of us newcomers take a while to fall in 'synch' (as I believe someone mentioned) with the flow of a message board. But there is a lot of treasure here in terms of memories and local history. I'm very appreciative for the opportunity to read and learn from what is shared.
Holly
Does anyone remember Lucas B&B's off off Lemmon ave? Keller's on northwest hwy still has good burgers and cold beer and Bob White's bar-b- que at Gaston and Garland was good.
Jim
August 01, 2005 03:02PM
How about Der Schnapps Und Snacks at Love Field.
August 04, 2005 12:45PM
Eisenhower was president when I was born.
Does anyone remember the Magic Pan in NorthPark? It opened about 1975.
And Celebration was and still is my favorite spot. Think I'll go to celebrate my birthday there.
I haven't seen Country Burger mentioned. Wasn't it on Illinois and Hampton?
Vivian
August 04, 2005 12:54PM
There was a Country Burger on Westmoreland, between Illinois and Kiest. And there still is one on Hampton, just north of Twelfth.
I remember when Magic Pan was a very romantic place to go after a movie at the NorthPark Cinema. Appetizer crepes, main dish crepes, dessert crepes....how very continental!
August 05, 2005 05:36PM
HOBERT HEVER, NO HEBERT HOVER ,DANG,HEVER HOOVER...1934..GENE
August 05, 2005 05:51PM
I obviously can relate. Thanks,
B
August 08, 2005 07:17AM
Country Burger has two Oak Cliff locations, one on Westmoreland, south of Illinois, and another on Hampton at Twelfth Street. I always liked their chili burgers.
August 08, 2005 10:23AM
Does anyone remember the Grittle System? They had one on Jefferson in Oak Cliff and one On Davis near Edgefield. They had Great! Chicken Fried Steak. El Fenix Buffett was really good too...
Kristy
August 08, 2005 11:18AM
My sister, Dad and I just passed Country Burger last Wednesday night on the way to Tachito's. We thought it looked closed down - but it's still open?
August 09, 2005 11:58AM
Al:
Are you perhaps referring to the "Griddle System" restaurant/diners? There was one here in Tyler and, back in 1967 when I came here to teach, it was the ONLY eating place open all night. Man did it get wild on Saturday night's after the bars in Longview closed! Tyler is, of course, "Dry"!
August 09, 2005 01:00PM
I am not sure about one in Tyler but they could have had one. All I know it was a diner of sorts great! chicken fried steak platters and they made a speical dressing a cross between french & thousand Island to go on there salads. I used to save up my paper route money just to go get there.
August 09, 2005 01:38PM
Sounds like one and the same Al. They may have been a franchise operation. The one in Tyler was located between the two hospitals and was always busy. I always wondered why it closed. I assume the competition as Tyler got more all night establishments like IHOP, etc. I had some friends visiting from Dallas and they got the "munchies" and the Griddle was all that was open! We weren't exactly in condition to sit in a booth so we ordered "to go"! Unfortunately, they weren't set up for that so several orders of potato chips wrapped in a paper napkin with a toothpick to hold it together. Also some sandwiches wrapped in the same fashion! We took them back to my house and pigged out happily!
August 10, 2005 11:26AM
Here's my favorites-
Remember drinking beer and singing along at Shakey's Pizza? Let's see...Jamie's on Northwest Hwy,Zuider Zee,Ditto on Tupinamba, that was one of our family celebration places. Jay's Marine Grill, my ex aunt in law was a bartender there forever. Banno Brothers- is it still there? Little Bit O' Sweden...and I remember going by the Bounty and Trader Vic's, never ate either place. And what was that place that had the doorman in the turban that was like 7 feet tall before the turban...eastern decor...I am totally blanking out. I will ask my sister, cannot remember to save me.
August 10, 2005 11:27AM
I remembered! La Tunisia!
August 10, 2005 03:10PM
Sorry to say Banno Bros. place has been gone a long time. Never heard why. Used to be good friends with Charlie Banno.
B
August 10, 2005 03:30PM
How about Sammy's. There was one on Central, and one (near where I grew up) at Westcliff Mall, over near Redbird Airport. BTW, Fred, one of the black cooks at Sammy's back then, has been--and is currently-- working for Prego Pasta House on Greenville.
August 11, 2005 08:16AM
WoW! Jane I remember going to all the places you mentioned. I recall my family going out to eat at and the the Giant seven foot tall man standing at the entrance to the resturant.
August 17, 2005 10:34AM
Well, maybe the one on Hampton is closed now. I haven't been by there in a while.
October 25, 2019 05:02PM
Daddy's Money was a favorite of mine. When did it close? I enjoyed going there in the mid-1970s before I moved away from Dallas.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login