Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1970's Restaurants

Posted by KMC 
Re: 1970's Restaurants
July 22, 2005 10:09PM
No, I didn't know Natasha as well as you must have done. I realized that she'd had to face some huge challenges in her years. As I think I mentioned, I just saw her a couple of times a week, at a place where she likely found great peace. Most of the time, we were in that one place, in silence, looking in the same direction. I remember when she opened the church door (which always was squeaky) at Saturday evening vigil, the light of the sunset would gather around her. It seemed that there was nowhere else she would rather be than there, in that (then) tiny, makeshift church, amongst the icons and candles, in the semi-darkness. That is my main memory of her ... just as she would walk into church. It is a good one.
July 22, 2005 10:16PM
The point is that this is a history board not a place to vent your mental anxieties. That's all. Get a grip,
B
July 22, 2005 10:21PM
I'm trying to nail everyone. Who was president when you were born. Thanks,
B
July 22, 2005 10:22PM
No. It's all my fault. :-) Eisenhower - '57
July 22, 2005 10:22PM
Point taken, bevo.
Linda Sue
July 22, 2005 10:57PM
I cannot speak for Bevo, but knowing him better than most, I think I can shed some light.
7 years of hanging out daily on this message board has taught me many things, but the BIG lessons for me would be:
1) Opinions are just that- Opinions.
2) Some argue opinions with their heart, some argue opinions with their head. Neither is wrong, but the 'Head' people come out less scathed.
3)If you frequent a MB and know a regular on your board is out of sync? Don't call them on it! Let it go- It will pan out.
I don't believe anyone should have to tip-toe? But many times it seems when someone is being 'trampled' in the eyes of a heart type person...The head type people do not look twice.They keep on, keepin' on...
Mistake in my eyes.
Just something to ponder along with our: 70's restaurants,cabins, roads, lakes, cemeteries etc...
I am thrilled to learn from each and every one of you! I hope we can make that a given for anyone who drops by. I also hope we can protect that for those of us who never leave!
> Peace Out! <
Fred Ragsdale
July 22, 2005 11:14PM
Pete, the 2002 Dallas map that I keep close at hand shows Westmoreland going South only as far as Ledbetter.....not all the way to Camp Wisdom Rd.
You mentioned that Joe Green had his version of Chili's at Westmoreland and Camp Wisdom.
Is there something wrong with my map?
Fred
Becky
July 23, 2005 05:20AM
Oh, yes, Fred; there is something wrong with your map. Westmoreland goes beyond Ledbetter all the way to Wheatland where it is on the West side of Hwy 67. Then, it "jumps" East over the freeway and begins again at Danieldale. From there, it heads South to at least Beltline Rd. I'm not sure if it continues beyond or not - there's a lot of new construction going on there.
Someone mentioned in a different post about drag racing on Westmoreland between Ledbetter and Camp Wisdom while it was under construction back in the late 60's. I remember those days very well. Although I never drove, I (stupidly) rode as a passenger many times.
Becky
July 23, 2005 05:51AM
Franklin Roosevelt
Jerry F. Bacon
July 23, 2005 08:42AM
Strayed into another topic here didn't we?
Herbert Hoover
July 23, 2005 05:01PM
You're right. Much of the racing was from Red Bird Lane up toward Mint Way and the tracks. A friend's Dad owned much of the land between Westmoreland, Red Bird Lane, Hickory Trail, and Camp Wisdom back then. We would drive into the fields out of sight of the roads and open up the coolers!
July 26, 2005 07:48AM
In response to Kristy about the Filling Station. I lived in Vickery from 1952 to 1965. The Filling Station was the actual gas station my dad traded at. I still remember the garage mechanic named J.D. The only connection I remember to Bonnie & Clyde was when they filmed the actual movie, Bonnie & Clyde, some of the scenes were shot in The Vickery Courts on Greenville Av. and rumor has it that Bonnie & Clyde actualy stayed there and got gas at the Filling Station . I still remember hearing the gun fire from our house while making the movie.
July 26, 2005 06:47PM
I guess I shouldn't mention that my mom and grandmother pulled in the front back in the 80's honking the horn for full service! Somebody finally came out and told them they were sorry but that it was a restaurant now!
July 27, 2005 10:12AM
If you want a really good burger or Chicken fried steak sandwich try Dairyette over on Oates & Ferguson in East Dallas they also serve the old Root Beer in a frosted mug. The Family has been there sine the 50's I believe. Great Food....
July 27, 2005 10:31AM
A week ago we went to a little burger drive-in on Peachtree and I think it is Lake June,has been there since 1963 and owned by the same family they were good burgers,fries and onion rings yum.Nothing to look at its like Kellers with car hops.
July 27, 2005 01:15PM
Art thats funny, but I bet they wer'nt the first to do that. I wonder how many people have gone to the Vickery Feed Store to buy feed?
July 29, 2005 05:10AM
'kips,(big boy) off skillman down the road from the Dr.Pepper plant
anyone remember 'Kellers' drive in restaurant? they had really good burgers
'char bar' on Greenville avenue had awesome burgers and fries
I also remember a lady named gracie at 'brownies' in downtown dallas
and one of my best memories was the shortstacks that my dad would order for my twin sister and i to half at the family restaurant on greenville ave. near ross ave. i can't remember the name of the place right off though. they had quarter jukebox's on the wall at every booth. I loved that place.
wyatt's in lakewood was really good also
July 30, 2005 01:49PM
Thank goodness for that because the rest of us don't know what the heck is going on here. Holly and Bevo both have your email addresses listed, why not take your personal conversations private and off the board?
July 30, 2005 09:09PM
Thanks, Mike. I think we have. Bevo is a nice guy -- he was just telling me to get a grip, and I've tried to follow his advice.
Holly
July 31, 2005 03:29PM
And a very fine job you've done of it. You are a really interesting person. And that's ALL I was doing. Thanks,
B
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login