Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1970's Restaurants

Posted by KMC 
KMC
1970's Restaurants
July 22, 2005 08:58AM
Dallas has always had a lot of restaurants but some that I remember from this era are:
The Tupinamba (across from Bachman Lake)
94th Aero Squadron (next to Love Field - it had hidden speakers in the parking lot and you could barely hear bombs, aircraft, men shouting and other "war" sounds as you walked into the restaurant)
Tamale's (in on old house on Oak Lawn, just off Cedar Springs)
Tolbert's Chili Parlor (next to Tamale's at the corner of Oak Lawn & Cedar Springs)
The Black Eyed Pea (the original one on Cedar Springs)
The Sailmaker (in Turtle Creek Village)
Vincent's (on Northwest Highway)
The Filling Station (Greenville Ave.)
Pizza & Pipes (Northwest Hwy., east of Greenville)
Our family at out a lot!
Re: 1970's Restaurants
July 22, 2005 09:37AM
Ty for that information. I always wondered if your family ate out alot.
Kristy
July 22, 2005 10:09AM
I was just thinking about the Filling Station the other day. Does anyone remember what the Bonnie and Clyde connection was at that location? I remember there was something about it on their menus.
From the 70's I also miss the original Casa Dominguez (did they rebuild?) with the autographed photos of celebrities like Carol Burnett and Lee Trevino on the wall. El Fenix CAFETERIA in Oak Cliff is my most missed mexican restaurant. Tippy's Taco House (now Herrera's) for great mexican food to-go. Naylor's fried chicken was terrific. I had Highland Park Cafeteria withdrawal for a couple of years after it closed - great fried chicken and squash casserole. Hondo's, a burger place either in Oak Cliff or Duncanville (I think), was great - especially their jalapeno chili-cheeseburger and cheese nachos. A fast food place called Burger Hut, off 67, had great burgers,too. My sister would add Monterrey House Mexican Restaurant and Taco Patio (like Taco Bell).
Becky
July 22, 2005 04:13PM
WOW! A blast from the past; I had totally forgotten about the 94th Aero Squadron. Thanks for the memories.
Don't know if this is the same burger place mentioned, but Burgers & Moore, 261 S Highway 67, in Cedar Hill is a great place to eat. Breakfast, lunch or dinner, they're all good, and resonably priced. It's tiny inside (you may have to sit with strangers) and they allow smoking, but the food is worth it.
July 22, 2005 05:22PM
Kristy,
I liked the Filling Station, too. They had great hamburgers. Did it finally close?
The Highland Park Cafeteria was a special treat for me as well. I also enjoyed eating at The Stoneleigh Pea when I was in my early twenties, the El Fenix northwest of downtown, and at the Dixie House (wasn't that the Gene Street place?) over in Lakewood. The list of Dallas restaurants could just go on and on.
July 22, 2005 07:19PM
What about Village Charco Burger on Camp Wisdom near Oriole? Or Partner's, CIncy Powell and Mean Joe Green's version of Chili's at Camp Wisdom and Westmoreland (later Milano's first location). I've mentioned them before, but Jaimie's at Oak Lawn and Lemmon or North Park, both were great burgers! Montana Mining at NorthPark. You are right though, the closing of the El Fenix Cafeteria at Hampton & Illinois was a dark day.
July 22, 2005 07:46PM
You purposely left out my favorite places, I guess you are attacking them! It's really sad that only you know where the "favorite places" were. My 12 yr old grandson is crying hysterically! Isn't he kinda YOUNG to pick on? I guess I won't be posting on this board again. At least for 2 hrs. oh whoas me. Thanks to all for all,
B
July 22, 2005 08:24PM
Say it ain't so, Bevo!!! 2 whole hours?? I'm gomma be cryin' along with your grandson......
July 22, 2005 08:29PM
I almost feel like I need to blame you for something! Nope. Hopefully all this will pass as it normally does. Thanks to all for all,
B
July 22, 2005 08:32PM
It's kind of difficult to understand why you would be hurtful, Mr. Roberts. Natasha, whose home you say that you shared, was a gentle, devout soul. Have you forgotten?
Yes, I was sad, because I guess I'm not used to someone striking out for no reason, and I disagreed strongly with some of the views which were expresssed. I received encouragement to post again, and I love Dallas history and prehistory. Is that enough? Does everyone have to have a heart made of iron in order to be able to post on this message board?
What were your favorite restaurants? I used to eat at the Greenville Avenue Bar and Grill sometimes. Is it still there? They used to feature accoustic bands on the weekends a well as some weeknights, I think.
Cpokoinoe noche.
July 22, 2005 08:39PM
Hold the guns there....don't blame ME for this fine kettle of fish..
July 22, 2005 09:01PM
I go by Billy. Apparently what you consider hurtfull and what should be are two different things. You seemed to have liked Natasha, did you EVER see her come unglued? She was stepped on all her life! Russia, France and even here. She was beaten, deprived, verbally abused all her life! You say you knew her. Did you ever hear her say anything about it? I did in confidential conversations. But she never made a spectacle of herself about it! She was a class act! Nobody on this board is gunning for you! There are a bunch of REAL good people here. Maybe if you are so sensitive about some things, you should avoid them! You threw Natasha back in my face, I'm throwing her back at you! If it wasn't ballet, she NEVER made a scene about anything. I don't know how old you are or your medical history, but your present attitude I don't think will work here. Lifes to short to let every little thing bother you. This is just a message board. We try to get along and overlook any differences that come up. Give it a try. It's just a message board!
B
Kristy
July 22, 2005 09:19PM
WHAT are you guys talking about? I've seriously missed something...
Kristy
July 22, 2005 09:23PM
Forgot all about Village Charcoburger - long gone, I guess? Vaguely remember Partners. And whatever happened to Quik Wok? It was decent for drive-thru Chinese. I was warped by my addiction to El Fenix Cafeteria - I thumb my nose every time I pass a Pancho's. smiling smiley
KMC
July 22, 2005 09:30PM
I'm with you Kristy - what is going on here?
July 22, 2005 09:30PM
Surely you didn't start this.(Just kidding) I've tried my best,
B
July 22, 2005 09:48PM
Ms. T, I'm nailing everybody with this, who was President when you were born?
Thanks,
B
July 22, 2005 09:54PM
What about Village Charcoal Burger at Country Club Corner (SW corner Polk and Camp Wisdom).
Darrell
July 22, 2005 10:00PM
I think it must have been Truman but I'm too tired to look it up right now. Anyway, it was 1947.
July 22, 2005 10:06PM
You are right. Sleep tight,
B
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login