Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Chester Clinic

Posted by Vivian 
Chester Clinic
June 22, 2005 02:50PM
Does anyone have any memories of Chester Clinic on Lancaster Road (at Kiest?), or Dr. Chester himself? Is the building still in use as a medical facility? I know it was 10 years ago or so.
Re: Chester Clinic
June 22, 2005 03:20PM
Yes,I used to go there and my doctor was Dr.Chester,I don't know if she was his wife or daughter.That was late 60's.I just sold my mothers house the house I grew up in a couple of years ago,part of it is there.I did not go up in the parking lot so I did not see what it was.I remember when the Lancaster-Kiest SC was new.We always thought it was a stupid idea to have it split one part with Kiest going through the middle of it.When Woolworths was there and W.A.Greens like a Penney's maybe my mom used to work there.
June 23, 2005 07:06AM
Chester Clinic was were my sister had her first baby and she worked as a candy striper during school. It was also the first job I had in the accounting dept. They transferred me to the Desoto branch this was all around June of 1972.
June 23, 2005 08:59AM
Do you remember if Dr.Chester was a daughter or wife?I walked all over this town and rode every bus there was we did not have a car.We lived back on Exeter off Fordham,we would walk to Lancaster Kiest SC.Sometimes ride the bus.Rode the bus to Chester though.I remember there was a root beer drive in across the street north of Kiest and there was a Polar Bear,love Lemon Custard ice cream.Or we would go to the Cedar Crest Theater,and go eat at Wyatt's.And buy groceries at Wyatt's Food Store,and ride the bus or a taxi home.I remember when Church's was first built on Lancaster they tore down a wonderful greasy hamburger place where we got 5 huge burgers for $1.00.Good old days.
June 23, 2005 09:16AM
My sister, said Dr. Chester was a woman, and we too would go to Cedar Crest Theater. After church our parents would drop off my 2 sisters, brother and myself to see the matinees. My mom worked at Western Auto forever. In fact I got my home coming dress from JC Penneys in Lancaster Kiest shopping center and we went to a church off Kiest St. John's Lutheran Church.
June 23, 2005 10:09AM
Nice to meet a Cliff girl.Its a shame people have to destroy our vintage antiques of our hearts.Furniture lasts longer than places.
June 23, 2005 12:20PM
Oh Carmella, I love Lemon Custard ice cream. Used to get it at Ashburns which I think was related to Polar Bear. Sounds like we grew up doing the same kinds of things but on opposite sides of the city. Did you ever go to the Forest Ave. Theater on Central Expressway and Forest Avenue or the State Theater on State and Hall Street?
July 08, 2005 12:55AM
My younger brother was born at Chester Clinic October 12, 1959. We lived close by on Stovall Dr. My older brother's initials, WT, were scrawled into the cement of one of the light pole bases at Lancaster/Kiest Shopping Center. He did it when the center was first built and the cement was still wet. It wasn't there anymore the last time I visited. I thought the street through the middle was cool.
I think the clinic building was empty when I was there a few years back.
I, too, remember the great ice cream at Polar Bear. In fact, when I was there some years ago, a sign which said "Polar Bear Parking Only" was still on the fence. I am looking at it here at my house as I write this. I wanted some keepsake of that great era before someone else just threw it away.
I was in Mrs. Bracie's first grade class at John Neely Bryan Elementary when JFK was assassinated.
Anybody here from that area and remember her?
Glad to see this message board with common memories of my childhood.
Doyle Trent
September 30, 2012 11:09AM
I was born at Chester Clinic in 1964. I was delivered by a doctor named Eugene Monahan, my family used to also live on Exeter in the early 60's. Our last name was Pierce.
September 30, 2012 11:11AM
When I was about 9 mos old, my family moved to a street called Lacewood, we lived on the corner of Lacewood and Garapan off of Kiest, we lived there 'til I was 12. I miss my old Oak Cliff, feel like I had my city taken away from me when my parents moved me away.
November 14, 2012 07:38PM
I was born in 1958 and delivered by Dr. Chester (the female Dr. Chester), at Chester Clinic, (I never thought to thank her for that smiling smiley She had been my family's doctor for some years after. Boy do I remember that hospital smell like it was yesterday. What a fine old building it was. Maybe, still is?
November 15, 2012 04:09PM
The clinic was in Lancaster for a long time...near the present day VA. John Buis Chester was the founder. His daughter, I think, was his associate. Present also was Dr. Gene Rogers a surgeon and Irv. Miller..one of the 1st cardiologist in O.C.. The neighborhood got rough and they moved to Pleasant Run Road. Jim
November 15, 2012 04:52PM
I can see from Google street view the fine old building isn't there anymore. Thanks a lot Oak Cliff.
January 31, 2013 08:24AM
Chester Clinic was located on Lancaster Road at Greenspan. I was a patient there in 1956 while a senior at Adamson High School. Dr. Miller was my physician. I received very good care. There are so many memories of that area. We lived on Ledbetter Drive and my dad worked at the V.A. Hospital on Lancaster Rd at Ann Arbor. I miss Oak Cliff so very, very much. We shopped at the Busy Bee Grocery in Lisbon on Lancaster Rd. and the Safeway on Lancaster Road at Ann Arbor. I attended W.W. Bushman Elementary on Linfield Dr. in the Fruitdale area. Dougherty Drug Store and Spann Drug Store were also on the corner of Lancaster Rd. and Ann Arbor. During WWII we attended Lancaster Road Methodist Church. Rev. Gladstone Risinger was the minister and he baptized me and my sister. The Lancaster Kiest Shopping Center was built and it was wonderful. What with Newberry's, W.A. Green, Kroger Grocery, J.C. Penney, and so many other smaller stores to which we had access. We loved it. The Picadilly cafeteria was also there and the food was delicious.
Wonderful times, wonderful people. So sad it has changed.
February 02, 2013 03:10PM
I went to Dr. Chester in DeSoto as a kid. Chester Clinic was on Hampton Road near Pleasant Run. She was a tall, thin, spare woman; not overly friendly and slightly intimidating to a kid. I remember very matter-of-fact booster shoots with no sucker (which is the only reason to get a booster shot in a kid's opinion). The first day of my freshman year, I cut myself on a knife in Homemaking class and was taken there to get a whopping two stitches.
May 19, 2014 04:11PM
The stae runs it as mental health for ex cons.I got 7 stitches back in the 50` s trying to fly like superman,cape n all.bled like a pig.
March 03, 2015 11:54PM
The only things I remember about Chester Clinic & Hospital were the 5 cent ice cream sandwich, & my grandfather died their. Years later I would meet a good looking hunk working in nuclear medicine. Went out a couple of times never knew where he ended up.
May 08, 2015 02:12AM
Remember it well.
April 01, 2016 10:49AM
In 1956 we lived behind the clinic on Biglow . Dr. Eugene Monahan was my late wife Dr. We later moved to Polk Terrace area and my wife worked for Dr Catherine Chester at clinic @ Hampton and Camp Wisdom. Dr Chester died July 9, 2014. Buried at Holy Redeemer Cemetery, Desoto
April 01, 2016 02:41PM
my family were regulars at Chester Clinic. I remember walking in the front door, soon as you walked in on the left you could take the elevator up one floor to the hospital rooms part or take a right and walk up the stairs. If you went straight in the doors there was a waiting room to your right and the nurses station on the left. Our doctors we all used were either Dr Curry, Maxwell or Hardy. Had several relatives pass away there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login