Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cowboy Town on US Hwy 80

Posted by Brenda Bell 
Cowboy Town on US Hwy 80
February 16, 2005 09:15PM
Does anyone remember 'Cowboy Town' on Hwy. 80 midway between Dallas and Ftw.? It was a western village type place, that's all I can remember but was wondering if anyone had any pictures to share of it ?
Anne R.
Re: Cowboy Town on US Hwy 80
February 18, 2005 07:17AM
Was it an amusement park?
February 18, 2005 03:57PM
The best I can remember is that it was a place for children to go and they had [fake] shoot outs....and these cowboys went around and arrested children for things like chewing gum and hauled them off to jail for a few minutes. That was the general theme of this place. Was Called Cowboy Town....Looked kinda like Dodge City with just one street and western looking buildings etc.
That's about all I can recall about it...Was on the South side of the Hiway on US 80 about midway between Dallas and Ft. Worth.
Anne R.
February 22, 2005 06:26AM
Wow, I never knew about that. I know it's been mentioned here before but the only place I knew of like that was Frontierland that was across from Storybook land on 183 in Irving based on some of the messages on this board.
I remember going to Cowboy Town on U.S.Hwy 80 many times. This would be 1959,1960 and 1961. I'm not sure, but I would bet this was taken in when Six Flags over Texas was built. Cowboy Town had its stagecoach, and when I went Six Flags the year it opened It had a stagecoach ride.(The stage was always held- up by outlaws). The crazyhorse saloon and many of the other storefronts at Six Flags look exactly like the ones I remember from Cowboy Town.
In Cowboy Town they would lock-up parents for a spell in the jail for not dressing in western garb.
There was also a skit where the barber would be shaving a gunslinger. After he accidently cut the
gunslinger the barber got shot. The sheriff was notified and a gunbattle occured.
I believe Cowboy Town was on Highway 183 next to Storybook Land at the Esters Road exit. The Parking Spot (remote airport parking) is located on that property now. Some of the buildings at Storybook Land were rescued and moved to the Fritz Park children's petting zoo in south Irving at the time the property was sold. I suppose the two venues had the same owner as they ran radio ads promoting both. The late 50s/early 60s is about right. These places were out in the "country" at that time... when you just had to "yield" as you cut across Hwy 183 on various roads.
Anne
June 28, 2005 12:15PM
Does anyone have any photos of this Cowboy Town place?
Maybe we are talking about two different amusement parks. The Cowboy Town I went to was on Hwy. 80 not 183. There must have been a place on 183 maybe later or at the same time. My wife remembers going to it in the early 60's.She said it was off 183 near County Line Rd. just south of where the airport is now. The park I remember was located near Grand Prairie. As you left Grand Prairie toward Arlington, going down the Hwy you could see the places on the left, right beside the road. You just pulled off the Hwy onto the gravel/dirt parking lot in front of the entrance of the places. Going east to west Cowboy Town was the first entrance and Storybook Land second. We never took a camera so I have no photos.
I wish we had.
Our Sunday School class went to both Cowboy Town and Storybook Land when I was in elementary school in the late fifties. My buddy and I got thrown in the jail cell for putting our feet up on the marshall's desk. There was a stagecoach ride, etc. I couldn't remember what part of town they were located in. For some reason, I was thinking they were on the east side of Dallas toward Mesquite.
I just got back from the library. Looked at microfilm of the Dallas Morning News. I apoligize to all of you. I could find nothing to substantiate my claim that Cowboy Town and Storybook Land were on Hwy. 80. (Steve's memory of where it was located is correct)
My memories must have been foggy. I guess as a kid I just didn't pay attention to where my parents were driving. Now...The first advertisement I could find was DMN Sat.June 2, 1956 part 1 p.7
It reads: 10 acres of entertainment, STORYBOOK LAND
open daily 10a.m. 'til dark,Hwy 183 midway (between)
Dallas and Ft.Worth, General Admission 50cents, special rates for parties, phone Irving BL3-8538,
or write p.o. box 440 Irving.
(I found no ads for 1957,1960 or 1961 but I didn't search every month, just May and June of the years 1955-1963)
The next ad wasgrinning smileyMN Sunday June 1, 1958 page2 sec.9
It reads: HEY KIDS! Come on out to COWBOY TOWN, Stage Hold-Ups, Bank Robberies, Pony Express, Bring Your Guns For Action. Highway 183 west of Irving Texas,Open daily 11 a.m. until dark.
Blackburn3-2150
Next: DMN Saturday June 20,1959 Sec.3 p.5
"Relive your childhood with your kids"...Open Daily STORYBOOK LAND BL3-8538 30 Mother Goose Rhymes, Pony Rides, Free Parking, Hiway 183 Midway (between) Dallas Ft.Worth open 9a.m. 'til dark.
Next: DMN Saturday June 23,1962 Sec.1 p.13
Hold Your Birthday Party Here, STORYBOOK LAND, For The Time Of Your Life,Open Every Day--Lots Of Rides,Highway 183, Irving BL3-8538
Next: DMN Sunday June,1963 Sec 4 p.3 (Same ad as above but larger)
I only found that one ad for COWBOY TOWN in 1958. There was probably more ads but it would take days to find them.
November 14, 2019 07:31AM
Steve Hamberger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe Cowboy Town was on Highway 183 next to
> Storybook Land at the Esters Road exit. The
> Parking Spot (remote airport parking) is located
> on that property now. Some of the buildings at
> Storybook Land were rescued and moved to the Fritz
> Park children's petting zoo in south Irving at the
> time the property was sold. I suppose the two
> venues had the same owner as they ran radio ads
> promoting both. The late 50s/early 60s is about
> right. These places were out in the
> "country" at that time... when you just
> had to "yield" as you cut across Hwy 183
> on various roads.

Here's an ad for Cowboy Town off 183 in Irving. It opened on June 22, 1957:

[www.facebook.com]

--
Dallas Cowboy Books Blog
[www.facebook.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login