Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Robert Hall

Posted by Bevo12000 
Robert Hall
August 12, 2004 05:26PM
Am I just imagining it or was there a Robert Hall men's clothing store near the intersection of Commerce and Industrial. I realize this isn't important Dallas history, I'm just trying to confirm some of my old memories. Thanks all,
B
Re: Robert Hall
August 12, 2004 07:12PM
There was a Robert Halls store on lower Greenville Ave.near Sammie's (Sammy's). I remember going in there to find a suit for one of my sons during my poverty years (1954, 55, 56). I also remember their song on the radio... "We're doing our Christmas Shopping at Robert Halls this year...."
One year we did our Christmas shopping at a dime store, and I crocheted a lot of shawls and hats for gifts. Bad years, but I learned how to make a ham and a roast last through a bunch of meals. We also sometimes ate at one of the boarding houses on Gaston on Friday nights..50 cents for adults and 25 cents for children.
Jeanette
August 12, 2004 09:05PM
Didn't Robert Hall have the "plain pipe racks" ?
Also wasn't there another chain of men's clothiers which was either Bill Benton /or/ Jim Clinton in the Dallas area /or/ the West Coast - same type store, same jingle only the names were changed ? I remember hearing both in Dallas and in San Diego when I was in the Navy during the Korean Conflict.
Fred Ragsdale
August 12, 2004 09:52PM
B, I think there was also a Robert Hall's in the Stevens Park Shopping Center in the 1950s and early 1960s. As I recall, it was located East of the Stevens Theater. The shopping center was East of Hampton and North of Fort Worth Ave.
I think I bought an inexpensive suit there in 1962, when I was home on leave from the Navy to get married.
Fred
August 13, 2004 05:13AM
Fred, the Robert Hall's at Stevens Park that I remember was on the south side of Ft. Worth Ave. across the street from the shopping center. However, they might have moved from the shopping center to that location for more space.
August 13, 2004 11:01AM
Jerry, I think you are right. I can remember buying a suit there in 1972/73. The store didn't survive much longer however. There is a pawn shop in the building on Ft. Worth Ave. now that used to be Rober Hall.
August 13, 2004 04:10PM
B,
As I remember, going west on Commerce, just past Industrial Blvd, on the right, there was a Robert Hall Clothing Store. I think I bought my first suit there.
Jim
August 13, 2004 04:41PM
Thanks. That's where I was thinking one was.
Thanks again,
B
August 13, 2004 07:48PM
Jim, I think you are correct. The location off Industrial Blvd. was the main location, very large in comparison to the smaller stores. And as I remember, there was a very large sign on top or in front of the building that had the head and smiling face of Robert Hall.
Directly across the street from Robert Hall was the very long new car showroom of McAlester Mercury. As I recall, the Mercury Dealership also had a sign on top of their building of a very large Comet with a long sparkling tail that lit up brightly at night advertising the new Mercury Comet Automobile.
As a kid, sitting in the back of my father
October 20, 2004 07:31AM
I thought their jingle was,
"When the value goes up, up, up,"
"And the prices go down, down, down,"
"We will show you the reason, to buy here this season"
"High qua - l - ity, low over - head".
October 20, 2004 03:41PM
Upon my graduation from college, I proceeded to Robert Hall on Ft. Worth Avenue and bought my first suit to wear to my first job interviews in 1974.
Hurley Butcher
Re: Need History on Hall's Store
October 31, 2004 07:53PM
Hi everyone, great memories. I think I might be the last generation to experience the old Hall Dime Store (or Hall's as we called it), as I remember buying toys and candy at an old Halls in Highland Park Village, in Dallas, years ago. I remember it was run by two elderly ladies. I think Henry Miller's realestate group bought the Village in 1976, and transformed it to the wealthy vendor arena it is today (sadly). I believe '76 was the last year for Halls little Dime Store, as I bet their lease was up and Im sure Miller was more than willing to let them go. But I have fond memories of going there in the early 70's to rummage through their racks of cool dime store stuff. Kinda like the Moses Store in Snyder Plaza, which also is gone now.
My question is, can someone send me more info, or maybe even a link to more information about the old store in Highland Park, or even about Robert Hall? I know thats very obscure history, but I want to build a web page about him, the store, and any photos, if they even exist. I cant find anything online beyond this list. Thanks everyone! - Mitchell : mitchstokely@hotmail.com
Re: Robert Hall Clothing Store and Gulf Service Station
April 20, 2020 05:52AM
I realize these posts are from 2004, but am hoping someone will respond. I recall there being a Robert Hall clothing store on Singleton west of its intersection with Westmoreland in West Dallas. This was in the 1950s. We moved from there in 1957. I also remember there being a Gulf service station at the northwest corner of Singleton at Westmoreland. Anyone else remember either of those?
April 20, 2020 06:54PM
I remember the service station. It was still there (though maybe not a Gulf) when I traveled Westmoreland from Oak Cliff, across the river to where it connected to Mockingbird on the way to my job at the Highland Park Village Sanger-Harris in the 1960s. Though I seldom traveled west of Westmoreland on Singleton, I don't recall much in the way of commercial stuff out that way, except maybe some Mom and Pop type small stores and a mechanic shop or two.

Dave McNeely
April 21, 2020 05:02PM
I might have my N/S streets mixed up, but wasn't Brother Bill's (Harrod) place on
Westmoreland, N. of Singleton? And Spradlin's Grocery Store in the same area?
April 22, 2020 12:25PM
50'sDallasGal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I realize these posts are from 2004, but am hoping
> someone will respond. I recall there being a
> Robert Hall clothing store on Singleton west of
> its intersection with Westmoreland in West Dallas.
> This was in the 1950s. We moved from there in
> 1957. I also remember there being a Gulf service
> station at the northwest corner of Singleton at
> Westmoreland. Anyone else remember either of
> those?

Thanks for resurrecting the Robert Hall thread. As I may have reported on here before, Robert Hall, a low priced clothing store, was an important outlet to my family in the 1950s-early 1960s. It made it possible for example for me to get dress clothes to wear for dates. That was in the day when a boy would put on a coat and tie to take a girl to a movie, football game, or for a meal in a restaurant. Even Sanger Bros. Basement outlet would have been too pricey for me at the time. Levine's was another purveyer of cheap clothing at the time, and a place that my family took advantage of. To me, it was less important that the clothing probably actually looked cheap than it was that I could afford it.

Frank, there were quite a few grocery and even clothing stores along Westmoreland N of Singleton back in the day. My father made his living at the time by selling produce, including to small grocers. I worked with him in the summer. We made deliveries to several stores along there, including to a Tom Thumb that was near to the location of the later Amelia Earheart Elementary School.

Another West Dallas store we delivered to was the Alamo Market, NW corner of Singleton and Hampton. It was in a big, old shack of a building, and the inside stank like spoiled meat and fish. It was one of the few places that would buy the River Carpsucker fish that were among the catch that my father collected from the borrow pits("bar ditches" in the Texanese of the time) in the Trinity River bottoms. It sold "hamburger" meat that looked to be more white than pink, mostly fat. The Alamo Market was owned by a notorious gangster who probably used the store as a laundry for his illicit earnings. Working people could buy from the store on a tab. I imagine that the prices for the merchandise were way above market, but how many places in the fifties could a poor person get groceries on credit? Later a modern Tom Thumb went up in a new shopping center on the NW corner of the same intersection, near where Pinkston H.S. was built.

Dave McNeely
April 29, 2020 07:50AM
Dave

Sorry, I took this rather off track. I think you might recall Brother Bill was the preacher
that gave West Dallas kids shoes at Christmas. I was in the Army Reserve with
his son, Paul Harrod. And I went to Cowart and Stockard with Deanna Spradlin,
daughter of the owner of Spradlin's Grocery.

Like I said, probably the wrong N/S street.

Stay Safe Dave,
Frank
June 05, 2020 05:25PM
Frank, I think you are correct about the location of Spradlin's and Brother Bill's.

Dave McNeely
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login