Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stores of Long Ago

Posted by Rob E. 
Fred Ragsdale
Re: Stores of Long Ago - Fort Worth
April 14, 2005 12:38AM
I do recall radio ads in Dallas for Everybody's in Fort Worth. Leonard Bros. WAS kinda like the WalMart of today...although limited to the Fort Worth scene. I think they even had a farm and ranch store on Belknap, away from the main store, where they sold tractors, saddles, etc.
This may be a tough crowd to get a good response from.....not because we're bad people, but because there are only a couple of regulars here that seem to be familiar with Fort Worth's past.
I've not heard of the drive-in you mentioned, but I'm guessing it was an eating place and hang out; not a movie drive-in. In the late '50s, we'd drive from Dallas to Fort Worth to a big drive-in restaurant where all the high schoolers were (lookin' to meet girls, of course, but often making the guys mad). Seems like it was on Camp Bowie, somewhere....maybe near a circle. (???)
Fred
Fred, You are probably thinking of the old Lone Star Drive Inn in Fort Worth, we use to go over there once in a while (when we got tired of Sivil's & Dairy Queen on Hampton Rd.) to check out the girls in Fort Worth. Guess they were all right as my Wife is from Fort Worth and I now live in Tarrant County....Bill Strouse
Fred Ragsdale
Re: Stores of Long Ago - Fort Worth
April 14, 2005 02:44PM
That was the drive-in, Bill! Lone Star! It was kinda like Fort Worth's equivalent of our Sivil's, though not nearly as large, as it was a main "hang out" place for teenagers.
Fred
Re: Stores of Long Ago
April 14, 2005 11:09PM
Leonard's also had "Leonard's Tire Store," usually a free-standing unit, but not always in proximity to a Leonard's store. One was at Forum 303, several were in Fort Worth, and some in Dallas...one being Skillman at Northwest Hwy, in the same parking lot with the old Medallion. In 1975, Shook Tire Company (of Lubbock, I believe) bought out the chain and changed the name.
April 15, 2005 05:39AM
As to LEONARD'S DEPT. STORE, I went there in the 60's.Part of it went under a street and that always interested me; they sold bread there and had a neat looking bread slicing machine that sliced a loaf while you waited.I had a "Coney Island" at a lunch counter that was teriffic as I recall.They put in a trolley line that went to a remote parking lot a shulleled between the store and that lot.
I always liked Fort Worth a lot and other stores I remember downtown were STRIPLINGS;BARBERS BOOK STORE;and MONNINGS DEPT. STORE that had Emerson fans on the columns.
Jerry F. Bacon-Dallas
April 15, 2005 08:37AM
There used to be a Sam's type store called Sessions. Does anybody remember it ? I think it was located South of downtown, near the Practical Drawing Co.
April 18, 2005 12:03PM
Long before Sanger-Harris became Foley's, both Sanger-Harris and Foley's (and the Leonard's mentioned earlier) were owned by Federated Department Stores, a national chain that included back then Macey's and many others of the "signature" stores of big cities. I worked at the Highland Park Sanger-Harris in the 1960s, and the store was a part of the Federated chain then, and had been for years (maybe before the merger with A. Harris). For yearly shoe sales the department where I worked) there was a set of sales shoes that accumulated and traveled around from store to store. That's why the really big sales were at different times at different stores, but coordinated so that leftover goods could move short distances.
Dave McNeely
April 18, 2005 12:09PM
Dear Dave:
We must have been at S-H about the same time.
I was in the Planning Dept. and did several seasonal changes at the HP store. It seemed to be the location that needed the most remodeling but never got it. Do you remember who the manager was ?
April 18, 2005 02:05PM
Sangers started out as Sanger Brothers, and followed the railroad (Houston & Texas Central) north as it built from Houston to Dallas. A. Harris also started out as a completely independent, Texas store. I wouldn't care to bet on this, but I THINK that Federated first acquired Sanger Brothers (don't ask when - i don't have a clue) and then at some later date acquired A. Harris - and at that point, merged the two as as Sanger-Harris to maintain the local names.
Foleys was a local store in Houston as Joskes was in San Antonio. Both wound up as part of the Federated chain, and ultimately all of the stores in (at least) Texas became Foley's, apparently the feeling being a single name was the way to go.
Mark Ritchie
April 19, 2005 09:01AM
Dave & Jim, did either of you work with my grandfather, Harry Freeman?
When I was a kid I thought it was so cool that my grandfather would be at Sanger-Harris. My dad worked for LTV/E-Systems and was always doing secret stuff for the good old USA, but as a child it was a lot cooler to have a granddad who worked at Sanger's.
April 19, 2005 01:31PM
Dear Mark:
Thanks for asking! I worked with Harry on a daily basis. Almost all of our remodels and new construction were accomplished by the crews from the Warehouse. Harry managed the Warehouse and Facilities from an office in the main store. I lost my GrandFather in 1957 and Harry was a carbon copy of him. Some others that worked for Harry: Harry Elliott was the Carpentry Shop Foreman, Jack Storey was the Installation Foreman, Walter Fulton was the Paint Shop Foreman. So many others that I can't remember. After I left S-H I heard that they were going to shut down the Shops. I purchased almost all of the Woodworking Equipment for my Father-in-Law. Later I heard that Harry had become the Store Manager at Big Town. When did he pass away? It seems that all of the old gang is gone now.
Please keep in touch.
April 19, 2005 01:51PM
I don't think anyone has mentioned Skaggs Drug Centers. There used to be one on Elm Street amongst the Theaters.
They merged with the new Joint Venture in 1970 when Skaggs and Albertsons decided to join forces. The joint venture lasted 5 years and was responsible for building 40 combination stores in the Texas/Okla. area.( about 8 in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area) When the joint venture expired they divided the stores between Skaggs headquartered in Salt Lake City and Albertsons in Boise, Idaho. The Albertsons Stores currently operating in this area are the remainders of the jv plus some new construction.
April 19, 2005 03:58PM
what was skaggs alpha beta ?
Mark Ritchie
Re: Sanger-Harris
April 19, 2005 10:21PM
Jim,
Harry Freeman died in 1987, having almost reached his 80th birthday. I guess he was in his fifties when he worked with you. My grandmother Ruby was with us until 1995.
I have posted some pictures at [www.ritchies.net] that show Harry and Ruby, and also some mysterious pictures of a Sanger-Harris in the process of being built. The year is probably around 1959, based on the other pictures that were with these. Can anybody say what Sanger's this is?
Mark
Re: Sanger-Harris
April 21, 2005 10:41AM
Dear Mark:
Thanks for the memories.
As I mentioned in one of my previous messages about my GrandFather, his wife was also named Ruby. All these years and we never knew.
Don't recognize anything in the other photos that would be distinctive to any one store. I would guess that it was the BigTown store.
April 21, 2005 10:49AM
The Alpha Beta name originated with a grocery chain in California. After Skaggs acquired the chain it was used on other facilities, (some in this area)
Skaggs had a very confused policy in naming their stores. I remember they had a store in Tulsa called Skaggs Thrifty City. At about the time they entered into the joint venture, they decided to change the name to Skaggs Drug Center. A few months later, they changed it to Skaggs-Albertsons and it became a part of the Combination Stores. Today, I don't know what name it bears!
June 23, 2005 11:55AM
Barnett Jewelry Company
Ralph Novins Jewelry
Everts Jewelry
Friedman's Pharmacy
Skillern's
Festival Shoes
Dreyfuess
H L Greens
W T Grant
Ward's Drugs
Hot Dogs Inc.
Newsland
Dallas Shoe Shop
Mangels
Alberts
Paul's Shoes
Lerner's
Margo's
La Modes (yes they were separate at first)
Philippsons
Beck's Hamburgers
Volk's
Colberts (they were separate too)
Rogers Shoes
E M Kahn's
Sanger Bros
A Harris
Bond's
Linz Jewelers
Kresses
Walgreens
June 06, 2022 02:37PM
I started Terry in 1957. Brand new building. Lived on Coleshire about six houses down from Greenspan. Such great times, we just didn't know it at the time.
June 06, 2022 07:14PM
I remember my Dad and I going to Crabtree's to test tubes from our TV.
June 07, 2022 10:35AM
Wow! You've resurrected a really old thread.

Back then, one could check vacuum tubes at almost any outlet that sold them. One could also take spark plugs from a car to gas stations and clean them in a sand blasting machine that was for that purpose.

Some other long vanished stores in the DFW area: Fred's Barbecue. When I worked at the Highland Park Sanger-Harris, I frequently ate at the Fred's in the Highland Park Shopping Center. The barbecue was excellent. A sliced brisket sandwich cost $1.20, and was piled high. A chopped brisket sandwich cost $0.99. If you ordered the latter, the server would just cut off the same amount of brisket as for a sliced sandwich and chop it up right there. So I always ordered chopped. Simon David's Grocery, sold Kosher foods, and was rather upscale for the time. Texas Army-Navy sold surplus military goods, camping, hunting, and fishing equipment and supplies, and really cheap, poor quality clothing. There was one on Jefferson in Oak Cliff, and one on East Grande in East Dallas. Next door to the Jefferson Texas Army Navy was a Zale's Jewelry store.

I worked for a time at Abbott's Shoes in Wynnwood. Sold Jumping Jack's children's shoes, and also Bass Weejun's loafers. Variously colored, especially red, penny loafers were then stylish for teenage girls. I bought my sister a pair, and they turned the white "bobby sox" that were typically worn with them red, which faded to pink. My mother said she had to wear the sox anyway, because she couldn't afford more. I think Glenda would wear them when she left for school, but then go sockless during the day, rather than be seen with pink sox. Abbott's had agreements with DISD schools to sell the saddle shoes that cheerleaders wore, and when the teenagers were acquiring their shoes for the fall, each Saturday a cheerleader from a different school would spend the day in the store, as a part of the publicity for the shoes, I guess to encourage other teens than cheerleaders to buy them. I don't know what if any compensation the teens got for this, or if any school officials or anyone else wondered about the ethics of it.

When I worked at Sanger-Harris, it was in the women's shoe department, which was operated as a "leased department" by Wohl's Shoes, a large national shoe maker and retailer. Most of the brands, like Life Stride, were Wohl brands. Wohl's didn't have the men's shoe department at Sanger-Harris stores, but did at Leonard's in Fort Worth. As an employee I got a 20% discount on purchases, and I went to Leonard's a couple of times for shoes for the dscount. I drove to to Fort Worth after class at UT Arlington, parked at the suburban lot in North Fort Worth and rode the Leonard's tram to the downtown store.

Dave McNeely

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2022 08:16PM by old man from dallas.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login