Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stores of Long Ago

Posted by Rob E. 
Becky
Re: Stores of Long Ago
March 30, 2004 12:26PM
"Dunstan's"?
Maybe that's a different place from what I'm talking about but Dunston's Prime Steak Houses are still open on Harry Hines, Lover's and Lake June Rd. The one on Forest, however, is gone.
March 30, 2004 12:53PM
Probably was Dunston's (sorry about the spelling - probably thinking of jhow it was pronounced) that I was thinking of - but was talking to my Mom and Dad just this weekend about steakhouyses, including Dunston's, and Dad said they weren't operating anymore, so i figured he would know, still living in Dalals and all. Glad to hear he was wrong - at least glad to hear it if the steaks are as good as they used to be...
March 30, 2004 08:16PM
And for a while, Wyatt's (grocery stores, that is) had "lucky bucks", which were sort of like trading stamps. (~1958 or so)
March 30, 2004 08:20PM
A couple of odd ones...
Contemporary House (furniture and nick-nacks as I recall), and
Crabtree Electronics (somewhere near downtown) - surplus and other goodies.
March 30, 2004 08:52PM
How about...
Barb's Sahara Drive-In(Lawther at Northwest Hwy)
Dads and Lads
Fresh Approach Grocery (mid 80's)
Godfather's Pizza
Oshmann's Sporting Goods
Shakey's Pizza
Pizza and Pipes
Please excuse any repeats!
March 30, 2004 08:55PM
was the Blue Front..not the blue plate....story about it when it closed a few years back in the DMN....
March 31, 2004 04:59AM
Was intresting to hear Pizza & Pipes mentioned,do you also remember Landmark Pizza & Pipes.The latter was near Abrams& Northwest Hwy.I played at both,Landmark had a Barton Organ and Richardson had a WurliTzer.
Jerry F. Bacon
March 31, 2004 05:02AM
Do you also remember;The Jagerstube - on Lovers Lane & Inwood.Great German food.
Jerry F. Bacon
March 31, 2004 06:22AM
Do you remember the fire in 1970? The Christmas decorations caught on fire from the little grill that was in the center of the mall.
March 31, 2004 07:03AM
Right, Blue Front. Great food, always crowded as I recall.
March 31, 2004 07:45AM
I don't remember it right off.
RC
Was it Buddy's Supermarkets that had a live TV program on saturday mornings that made drawings from doodles sent in by the public???This fellow made a picture or sketch from lines or scribbles mailed in to the program and if they drew your doodle you won some prizes. Well,I know that I won it one saturday and got a model car and a six pack or two of soda pop I think.
MWT
April 01, 2004 07:25PM
Shakey's! Nickel beer night!
April 01, 2004 07:27PM
And Dean's Seafood right down the street?
And Fish and Chips on Lover's during the British invasion?
Linda
April 01, 2004 11:03PM
I took this link from this board long ago. It is now on my Favorite's; and ties in with this very interesting thread!
I apoligize that I do not recall who first offered this link.
Go Here: [theimaginaryworld.com]
Rob E.
April 02, 2004 07:09AM
Those are fun pictures to look at. The only things in the pictures that STILL look the same are.........the shopping carts!
April 02, 2004 09:59AM
Some great pix Linda. Good ole days.
April 05, 2004 01:13PM
The one thing that stands out very vividly when we speak of "Stores Of Long Ago" are basically the same ingrediants then as they are today, that which is the the glue that is holding the economy together, what's left of it today, and that is the small business. I recall a small store
in my neighborhood when growing up, "Mrs. Brown's
Grocery Store" that was on Gould St. at Mckee. This small grcery store was where many families did their food shopping, or quick, small items shopping. Many families did not have automobiles during these times. They lived convinient to bus stops, or, electric street car stops. This was their means of transportation to downtown Dallas, where the work/employment resided. I recall many a time when Mrs. Brown jotted in her note book with a No. 2 pencil, what people would "charge" for the days goods. I'm sure, many of these small stores were the reason why, and how, families existed.
Sure, their were larger grocery stores. They were not on every corner in those days. I recall the wagons some folks would use to haul their groceries. I also recall grocery delivery boys (entrpeneurs they were)that would haul groceries in their wagons, for pay.
Thank you to the Mrs. Browns of those days, and the "Stores Of Long Ago".
April 05, 2004 01:27PM
At the intersection of Kiest and Hampton was a shopping strip. On both sides of Kiest. There was the Raven Drug Store at the end of the strip close to Hampton. In the Middle of that strip was A&P Grocery Store and I believe a Laudry-mat at the opposite end. Across the street was the other (& smaller) Strip. I believe at the end close to Hampton was a Affiliated Grocery Store? and around the middle of the strip was a Record Store. Can't recall the name, but the lady who owned and ran it was Mrs. Anderson. Real nice lady too.!! And at the opposite end for a while was a Maytag retailer I believe. Next to the Affiliated Grocer & right at the corner of Kiest and Hampton was the Humble (Enco) Gas Station. (Put a Tiger in your tank).. Behind the gas station was the 7-11. It faced Hampton Rd. My first little job was their. The manager would pay me a dollar or 2 to sweep and mop the store. I was about 8 to 9 years old then. Back in 1968/69 era..... And thats' when 7-11 was open from 7 to 11...
Memories.!!
Randy
Back in 1940-41, when I was 8 or 9, I began to suspect that the road to wealth was not to be found by selling The Saturday Evening Post from a cloth shoulder bag for 5 cents a copy. I had already tried selling Liberty magazine and Cloverbloom Salve with similar results and I decided it was time to broaden my horizons. I took my trusty, and rusty, banged-up, decrepit old Radio Flyer wagon and parked myself outside the A & P store across Hampton Road from the Sunset Theater with the intention of offering grocery delivery service to the lady shoppers, who were frequently forced to struggle several blocks home on foot with both arms loaded with full grocery sacks. I had never seen such a service offered before, and as far as I was concerned, it was an original idea. That such a service filled a need became immediately apparent, because I had more business instantly than I could possibly handle. The long slow trudge to and from the customer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login