Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Beverly Hills Hospital

Posted by Donna Mason 
Beverly Hills Hospital
May 27, 2000 07:11PM
There was a mental institution in Oak Cliff at one time...I think on the northern end of Westmoreland. My mom had a friend that was treated there and as a child it was sort of a scarey place to drive by although I'm not sure why. I wondered what ever happened to that place. Seems like in its day it was considered a very good hospital. I recall it looked like a large house more than a regular hospital. Assume it closed but wondered if the structure was still standing.<br><br><hr size=7 width=75%><p>
: There was a mental institution in Oak Cliff at one time...I think on the northern end of Westmoreland. My mom had a friend that was treated there and as a child it was sort of a scarey place to drive by although I'm not sure why. I wondered what ever happened to that place. Seems like in its day it was considered a very good hospital. I recall it looked like a large house more than a regular hospital. Assume it closed but wondered if the structure was still standing.<p>Beverly Hills Hospital sometimes referred to as a Sanitorium was located on Westmoreland Avenue, Northwest of the LaReunion Housing area during WWII and could be said it was on a bluff. My mother was a nurse there during the '40's. I'm sorry, I really do not know what became of it as I left the Dallas area in 1967 and have only returned on visits to see family but I would be interested in what became of it. My mother is deceased now but I am curious.<br><br><hr size=7 width=75%><p>
Re: Beverly Hills Hospital
March 27, 2010 10:10AM
My mother was in that hospital for 3 months in the 1970's. I remember going to see here and wondering why she was in that big old house.
March 27, 2010 01:10PM
Beverly Hills also provided rehabilitation for drug additions.
Founded in 1931, closed?
A Google street view search did not produce evidence of what is remembered. This memory was white buildings with Terra Cotta roofs, but may be associated with lodge or motel that was on Sylvan just north of the current TOM LANDRY! Freeway. The specific address for the facility was 1353 North Westmoreland.
If anyone has a picture, it would mean a lot!
March 28, 2010 11:25PM
Something not right there, Joel, unless I have misunderstood your posting.

Sylvan Ave. is far East of the Beverly Hills residential area adjacent to Cockrell Hill and North of Jefferson Blvd.

Early teen girl friend lived in Beverly Hills cool smiley.
Mac
March 29, 2010 04:04AM
The 1959 City Directory lists 1353 Westmoreland as the Beverly Hills Sanitarium Annex. It's near the intersection with Remond St.

The main Beverly Hills Sanitarium is listed at 210 and 219 Westmoreland. This is near where W. 9th Street intersects.

[www.flickr.com]

[www.ohio66.com]

[redoakkid.wordpress.com]
March 29, 2010 04:08AM
Fred,
My reference to Sylvan was to that Motel and its architectural style, of which I remember and associate with BH in the '60's.
Joel
March 29, 2010 05:11PM
In the early 50's the Beverly Hills Sanatarium was at 210 N. Westmoreland at 9th...on the east side of Westmoreland. It was just a house used as a clinic with a bunch of wooden "rooms" built at the back and sides of the lot. Tiny little rooms for the patients.
The house is still there...but most of the wooden buildings in the back and side are gone.
March 29, 2010 08:20PM
Cee-Cee

The one story house presently at 210 N Westmoreland appears to have been enlarged and remodeled and the DCAD date is questionable. Is this the same you recall from earlier days? Was the house on the south side, 206 N Westmoreland, also a part of the hospital?

This first view is from the 1952 Sanborn Insurance Map:

The one story house in the center labeled "Off" is 210 N Westmoreland. Above that is the word "Sanitarium" and to the right "Cottages." The two story house just to the north is variously listed as 214 and/or 218 N Westmoreland.

Here is a current view: Note that all are private residences now and a couple of the cottages remain.

Bing - 210 and 214 N Westmoreland

This is a recent view of the original annex at 1353 N Westmoreland which dates from the early 1950s and is still in use surrounded by a complex of buildings dating from the 1960s to 1990s which are now Dallas County Mental Health - Mental Retardation / Dallas Metro Services.

Construction was red brick with white masonary trim and flat roof. This is most likely the structure Jeat Bullock recalled sitting on a bluff northwest of Reunion Homes. I rode my motor scooter back and forth to work from Brookhollow to Oak Cliff in the late 50s and recall the climb up Westmoreland from the Turnpike; not quite as steep as Hampton but with much less traffic.

Here is a current view with the original u-shaped annex in the center behind the tower.

Bing - 1353 N Westmoreland

M C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2010 08:34PM by M C Toyer.
March 30, 2010 04:03AM
hmm....I was just a little girl at the time I remember going there...(in the mid 50s).
I'm thinking the house on the corner was part of the Sanatarium. Seems like there was a long wooden bldg with a big covered porch that faced 9th St. It had chairs on it so the patients could sit outside.
Guess I need to do a drive by and see if that jogs my memory.
March 30, 2010 06:31AM
Thanks M C, that is the building seen before not knowing that this was it. Now it is confirmed!
March 30, 2010 04:05PM
Cee-Cee -

I beleive you are correct. I found a reference of a doctor being assigned to the 206 address, the house on the corner of Westmoreland and 9th, which appears to date from the 1940s. There are two large structures still standing to the rear of the house, a long one very close to 9th and another abutting the alley.

The ca 1950 aerial views show a number of walkways connecting all three of the houses to the various outbuildings and cottages and I believe some across the alley may also have been part of the complex.

There was an article re the donation of movie equipment housed in a 75 seat theater which may have been one of the larger buildings at the rear of 206.

Joel - re the closure of the Beverly Hills Hospital at 1353 N Westmoreland there are several articles in 1977 re negotations for Dallas MHMR to lease the facility and a later article that states it closed in 1980. The original site in the 200 block of N Westmoreland appears to have been closed out in the 1960s after the extensive enlargement at 1353 completed in 1964.

I confirmed the original U-shaped structure at 1353 was built in the early 1950s from USGS Maps and the HistoricAerials. For many years there was a large house just to the east, which was probably already on the property, and was replaced by the most recent buildings about 1995.

There was also some controversy about the setback for the U-shaped building stating the concerns of several neighbors who were LaReunion Colony descendants who had acquired property on the Colony lands after the Colony was disbanded. Neither of the Beverly Hills Hospital locations were in the original Colony, but both were just across the street from it.

M C
July 03, 2019 03:07PM
I worked at this site from 2000-2002, as a psych nurse. It had been cleaned up and we housed the mentally ill homeless. Men's rooms were on the left and women's on the right. There was also a large cafeteria on the premises and MHMR had several buildings for psych emergencies. It's a shame that it's just sitting idle.
July 04, 2019 05:09PM
I don't know a lot about the hospital, either when it was Beverly Hills Hospital, or operated by the Dallas MHMR (the latter was long after I left Dallas). However, a college friend who went on to get a doctorate in clinical psychology was employed there for a time, I think as an "Assistant Director."

When I was a kid, I really liked going down (and up) the escarpment on Westmoreland. That area just N of Remond was heavily wooded with small oak trees, and the hospital buildings sat under the trees, as I remember. Later, when I was in high school, friends and I trespassed on cement plant property (at least I think it was) and collected fossils from the Austin chalk and Eagle Ford shale that was exposed there. I eventually gave them to the science department at South Oak Cliff HS where I taught, and to the Dallas Museum of Natural History. All were well documented.

Dave McNeely
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login