Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Indian Tribes Around Dallas

Posted by Teresa Jordan 
Indian Tribes Around Dallas
August 07, 2003 11:34PM
Do we know what specific Indian tribes lived in our area before John Neely Bryan came here or if there were any? Perhaps they travelled through our area rather than living here. I read about different tribes through East Texas and West Texas but don't recall anything specific about our area.
Linda
Re: Indian Tribes Around Dallas
August 08, 2003 12:01AM
I'm curious too, come to think of it!
I assume Caddo Mills has something to do with a prior settlement?
I only know the Bird's fort connection; and barely that.
Teresa & Linda, I have three references for you relating to pre-Bryan Indians in the area.
1) Fred and I have covered the Cherokees in the Trinity Industrial District. Search this board for the word Cherokee. Of specific note, look at: [www.dallashistory.org]
2) At the time that Lamar sent General Tarrant to attack the Indians at Village Creek, the area around Lake Arlington was the home for the largest concentration of Indians in Texas of many tribes that had been chased out of the United States sought homes in that area. Search the board for "village creek" and especially look at:
[www.dallashistory.org]
3) The most comprehensive set of materials I have found is at the Institute of Texan Cultures in San Antonio (Branch of U/Tx that includes the Eugene Barker Library in Austin). Here is the best bibliography of pre-Republic of Texas cultures in Texas I have found: [www.texancultures.utsa.edu]. At the bottom of that bibliography is the specific address, etc of the Institute of Texas Cultures in San Antonio.
Thank you for your interest in pre-RoT cultures in Texas.
For those of you who may not have received the Discover magazine in the Dallas Morning News this past week:
P. 19 Dallas County: Cherokee warriors arrived from Arkansas in 1819 or 1820, but withdrew after a three year battle with prairie tribes.
Dallas County was offfficially formed by order of the State Legoislature ... and was probably named after George Mifflin Dallas, vice president of the United States under James K. Polk.
P. 23 Tarrant County: Comanches, Kiowas and Wichatas moved into the region by the late 1700s.Whites clashed with the natives when they arrived in 1840s. The county was named for Gen. Edward Tarrant, who helped drive the indians from the area.
P. 27 Collin County: Caddo Indians inhabited the area until mid 1850s.
P. 31 Denton County: No mention made of indians.
P. 35 Rockwall County: The region was home of several tribes of Caddo Indians when Cherokee Indians arrived in the 1820s When the first white settlers came in the 1840s, they found various indian groups at war among themselves
P. 39 Ellis County: Tonkawa Indians were the earliest inhabitants of Ellis County.
This info was gathered by Kathryn from The Handbook of Texas and Mary Ramos from the Texas Almanac.
Thanks Earl, Everyone
August 10, 2003 07:16AM
You gave me a good idea of what was going on around our neck of the woods before the settlers came and created our city. I'll be looking up the other suggestions as well. I don't take the paper any longer and so I missed that information. Thanks to you and the others for saving the day.....
December 20, 2010 09:23AM
I had a great Aunt that told us that our ancestor, by the name of "Fite" built the first log cabin in Dallas. His picture hung in Courthouse, before it
burned. Do not know what tribe he was from? He supposely marrierd a white school teacher.
If you have any information, please let me know.
June 14, 2017 05:59AM
[www.dmagazine.com]

Interesting article on the prehistoric history of Dallas that few know about.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login