Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dunne Memorial Home for Boys

Posted by Bob Lindsey 
Dunne Memorial Home for Boys
March 14, 2003 04:50PM
I was just wondering if their were any survivors of the old catholic home for boys in Oak Cliff.
I was an attendee in the early 1940s and had some vivid memories.
I was just interested.
Thanks
You might be interested in seeing the old photo I have posted at:
[laurissa.com]
Was the old Bishop Dunne house still standing when you were there?
Re: Dunne Memorial Home for Boys
February 26, 2004 11:15PM
My brother was placed in this home in the middle 60's. I was looking for information on the St. Joseph Home for Girls that I was placed in at the same time. Seems a shame to me that these sites do not have any kind of markers. I recently visited them and was very saddened. So many lives were affected by the facilities once on these sites, you would think that the city and the catholic church would want to memorialize it in some way.
April 28, 2006 07:47PM
I was there around 1959-1960 (my younger sister was in St. Joseph's at the same time). I recall (possibly erroneously) the little Irish head nun named, I believe, Sister Mary Catherine, boiled chicken backs for dinner (not every day, I'm sure),a one-room grade school, a dormitory with clothes lockers, black pants and Hawaian shirts for special occasions, and a Boy Scout troop at the home.
Looking for photos of the home and contact with anyone who was at the home from 1946-1952. Alot of memories of the home and yes, St. Joseph's Home for Girls also.
My father was there somewhere between 1934 and 1937. He is now 80 and has maintained a great memory. I have always known he was there for a period of time, but it was something he never spoke of until the past 5 or 6 years. I have tried to find info about this place and have not had much luck. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
May 08, 2015 01:38AM
My name is Michael Woods, I had a brother whom has since recently passed, David Woods,we were in Dunne Memorial, I personally was there for 6 years, 1967 in Dunne Memorial & then moved to Saint Joseph's cottages from 1971 thru 1973, my sister Debbie Woods was in Saint Joseph's for a few years, I will agree this is about it for us, not sure as old as these post are that any of you will attemp to stay up with it. I have registered long ago & only thru facebook have I found only two other boys, Robert Kantz, & Jimmy, & Judy Riddley. I have direct lines to them & my sister so drop me a lone & lets get together.
I think United Way & Chatholic Charites don't really want us finding each other, they offer little in the way to do so.
They do not encourage nor offer .
nobodee@live.com
214) 422-5735 cell
anytime, anywhere
God Bless
May 08, 2015 01:41AM
NoBoDEE [ PM ]
May 08, 2015 01:38AM Registered: 2 years ago
My name is Michael Woods, I had a brother whom has since recently passed, David Woods,we were in Dunne Memorial, I personally was there for 6 years, 1967 in Dunne Memorial & then moved to Saint Joseph's cottages from 1971 thru 1973, my sister Debbie Woods was in Saint Joseph's for a few years, I will agree this is about it for us, not sure as old as these post are that any of you will attemp to stay up with it. I have registered long ago & only thru facebook have I found only two other boys, Robert Kantz, & Jimmy, & Judy Riddley. I have direct lines to them & my sister so drop me a lone & lets get together.
I think United Way & Chatholic Charites don't really want us finding each other, they offer little in the way to do so.
They do not encourage nor offer .
nobodee@live.com
214) 422-5735 cell
anytime, anywhere
God Bless
June 23, 2017 04:32PM
I was a resident at Dunne Memorial Home for Boys from 1949 to 1953/54. I also attended St. Cecilia Catholic School in the 7th grade
while a resident at Dunne. Can't find much info on either school today. Found one photo of the old Dunne Home bldg. which brought
back lots of memories.
Anyone else out there who may have been a resident during 1949-1954 I would like to chat.
Rainman
June 23, 2017 04:40PM
Hey guys,

just found this site while researching Dunne Home for Boys. I was a resident at Dunne Home from 1949-1953/54. I would appreciate
any and all information on Dunne Home and/or St. Cecilia School which was located to the east of the home. I attended the 7th grade
at St. Cecilia's while a resident of the home and attended the 8th grade at St. Cecilia's after I left the home.
Rainman
June 23, 2017 04:52PM
Hi Vickie,

I was a resident at Dunne Memorial Home but earlier than your brother. I resided there from 1949 age 8 to 1953/54. I tried to find records
thru The Catholic Dioceses of Dallas but had little luck. Like you, I can't believe more complete history records were not kept.

Vickie, should you turn up more information I would like to hear from you. I do remember the old St. Joseph Girls Home which I think
was located West of Dunne Home towards Grand Prairie and maybe on Davis as well. My memory is somewhat vague these days.
I also found where the girls home was moved to the old Jesuit High School location after the high school was demolished.
Rainman Arizona
June 23, 2017 05:06PM
Hi Tony,

I Ray Ochoa and my younger brother Derrill were residents at Dunne Memorial Home 1949-1954. I do not recall any particular
names of other residents of Dunne Home while I was there except the resident priest, whose name was Father Mulholland to the
best of my memory. The priest's residence was located to the west of the main building and the old rec room where we had band
and scout meetings was located to the north. I did find one old photo of the main residence on the internet. Very few records
available. I remember we used to play in the woods around the home. I recall the top level housed the dorm, sleeping areas, chapel,
showers, etc. The middle level was where the classrooms were located, TV room, Parlor, etc. The dining area, kitchen, storage
was on the lower level. As best as I can remember.

Rainman, Arizona
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login